Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ventilation grommets on vintage leather jackets

striker

New in Town
Do most of the vintage leather flight jackets (civilian) and vintage leather motorcycle jackets have under-arm ventilation grommets? Or, do some have them and some do not?

Do these vents really make a difference anyway?

Thanks,

Striker

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Hi,

I have an Aero A2 (mil) and an Aero Hywayman (civ) and both have the holes under the arms.

Whether they work or not is debatable, but given the choice I sure would prefer them to be there, I think it's a real nice detail.

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
I don't know if they make a difference in ventilating the armpits, but I like them anyways. As already stated, it's a nice detail.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Irvin flying jackets have the most grommits, usually 8 under each arm. A2s have two under each arm, but B3s don't have them at all.

striker

New in Town
8 under each arm.... that's quite a bit.

What about the vintage motorcycle jackets, like the Schott Perfecto, did they usually have ventilation grommets?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My sense of them in terms of "ventilation" is that they aren't so much there for cooling, as for allowing greater ease of movement by preventing air from getting trapped in the jacket. They "breathe" when you move your arms, allowing the air to flow in and out of the tight spaces of the jacket freely. It definitely reduces movement-resistance a little bit.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have three modern motorcycle jackets. Two of them, the Aero Highwayman and the Schott have the ventilation holes under the arms. I think that they are more efficient on a motorcycle because of the constant flow of air in and through the holes. Without the free flow of air, I doubt they would do much toward ventilation, except maybe for letting some moisture escape. Dr. Strange's theory about letting air escape for freedom of movement may be right.

The third jacket accomplishes ventilation with four zipper covered openings, two in the chest and two in the back. These openings are within four or five inches of the armholes, and do a fair job of venting the jacket on warmer days with the flow of air inherent in motorcycle riding.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
striker said:
8 under each arm.... that's quite a bit.

If you haven't worn an Irvin you might not understand why. An Irvin is a very, very warm jacket and in my opinion they really do make a difference. I wouldn't want to wear a thick sheepskin flying jacket that didn't have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy