Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viberg Boots

J

john z

First off I couldn't decide whether a thread on footwear belongs here or in General Attire & Accouterments. Obviously in the end I decided here. Perhaps a area dedicated to such would be desirable on the FL?

Anyway I've been looking around for a reasonably priced quality pair of Engineer Boots to add to my collection of two pairs. Besides the obvious offerings from WESCO & the Japanese repros such as those from Toys McCoy which are frighteningly expensive, difficult to acquire or both there didn't seem much that grabbed my attention. Then I stumbled across this website of a long established family maker in Canada:

http://www.workboot.com/biker_boots/83_Engineer/Black/11_Inch

Hand made using traditional methods they seem to be a very high quality product. After emailing all their retailers with an address listed the best price I've been quoted is 320 USD + shipping which I think is very reasonable compared to boots from other makers of the same quality.

My next step was to check out feedback of those with experiences of Viberg's boots on here. Much to my surprise a search gave no results for Viberg. I can only assume that there must be those on here that know of and/or has/does own Viberg boots but has never felt inclined to shout about it on the FL.

So I would appreciate any feedback on the quality and service of Viberg from anyone here that know of them. Also I would like to hear from anyone that doesn't but would like to give their opinion on these or other options.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Don't know anything about them

...but I have been toying with the idea of getting a pair of White's semi-dress direct from America myself. The only thing that's stopping me is the dreadful UK customs fee...:confused:

Do you have any idea how much extra the customs fee is on a USD 320 purchase?

I like the foreman model (55) in the Viberg website...

http://www.workboot.com/work_boots/55_Foreman

J

john z

blethook said:
...but I have been toying with the idea of getting a pair of White's semi-dress direct from America myself. The only thing that's stopping me is the dreadful UK customs fee...:confused:

Do you have any idea how much extra the customs fee is on a USD 320 purchase?

I like the foreman model (55) in the Viberg website...

http://www.workboot.com/work_boots/55_Foreman

The import duty would be an additional 12% of the total of the purchase price+shipping. Then add VAT at the std prevailing UK rate on the total of that. On top of that you will pay a handling fee to whoever delivers your item in the UK. Parcel Force/Royal Mail charge £8.

There are ways to avoid these costs though, not that I'd condone this of course ;)

Geronimo said:
No experience with Vibergs - just thought I'd share some other (reasonably priced) options in the field of good engineer boots, if you want 'em:
http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_engineer-021.php
I bought a pair of 17" high-shines from them. Very nice. Not waterproof, though.

One of the two pairs I have are 11" Chippewa's.

Geronimo said:
The same place has a pretty good deal on Wesco's, if you want to go with that brand:
http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_engineer-041.php

Nice boots BUT I don't like lugged soles which are standard here. I just priced up a pair of smooth soled Boss' on the WESCO site & they come up at $508. You have the option of a lugged or smooth sole on the Viberg's without being penalised on price for choosing one over the other. Also the Viberg's are from stock so no waiting for a custom build. So for me me they win on price & availability.

Many thanks your response though.

Edward

Bartender
The Vibergs do look good.... it's not an immediate priority, but I'm considering a new pair mself. I do have a pair of Grinders I bought a few years back. Great boots, but the internal steel toecap makes them heavy to wear all day, nd I'd prefer something a bit snugger - these have quite a loose fit. Also, those modern-style heavily lugged soles....

J

john z

Well the boots are now going to have to wait I'm afraid as I made an impulse purchase on eBay last night. Another vintage Horsehide jacket. I'll start a new thread on that here shortly.

Meanwhile anymore opinions of, or experiences with Viberg would be much appreciated.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been looking at Viberg, too. Look great.

They also have some less rugged, every day shoe/boots
that look great, such as their Redwood and Black Cat models.
Appear to be less expensive (no Vibram sole), though I can't
seem to find prices for Viberg products. I guess I'll have to call.

Love that they come standard in 3E and 4E widths.

Speak up if you have some experience with these products!

jon z

One of the Regulars
Viberg 83's

These are still on my shopping list along with Engineer's from two other makers. Not sure which will get priority yet. I did email every agent they had listed on their site which shews an email address. It's interesting that of those that responded favourably there was a $80 price difference between the lowest & highest quotes. $320 was the best which I think is very reasonable when compared to other boots of this quality made using traditional methods.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
john z said:
Nice boots BUT I don't like lugged soles which are standard here. I just priced up a pair of smooth soled Boss' on the WESCO site & they come up at $508. You have the option of a lugged or smooth sole on the Viberg's without being penalised on price for choosing one over the other. Also the Viberg's are from stock so no waiting for a custom build. So for me me they win on price & availability.

Many thanks your response though.

Hey - Just so you know, there are cheaper options for custom ordering a pair of Wesco boots. I have been looking Wesco's at a site called "Big Black Boots" (www.boot.com), and their starting price for custom order Wesco Boss boots in 11" height is $389.

The starting price for the same boots on the Wesco website is $458.

So if you order through "Big Black Boots", you save $68 right off the top. Just some food for thought. I am planning on placing an order with them in the near future. Please note, I have no connection with this website - I just saw an obvious difference in price and thought I would share.

- Jim

jon z

One of the Regulars
Engineer Boot's Thread

I'm an avid follower of that thread & contribute as & when. Viberg's are in fact mentioned as being of good quality but that's about it. There's no one as yet admitting to ownership to give a review as to the fit, quality & value. From their website, on the face of it, they seem to make higher end footwear. A family owned business established for many years making shoes & boots they way they should be made. Sound familiar? Try Wesco's. Yet everybody has heard of the latter & there are numerous people willing to post reviews from personal ownership experience. Where are all the Viberg owners? They must exist as the company exists. If they didn't it wouldn't. Whether or not they are more expensive than Wesco's aside I would love to read some unbiased opinions of them based on personal experience. Is it possible that there is some US vs Canadian made product thing going on here that, being an outsider from England, I'm missing?

Peacoat

Bartender
jon z said:
Is it possible that there is some US vs Canadian made product thing going on here that, being an outsider from England, I'm missing?

Don't think so. Before 9/11 we could cross between the two countries by showing a driver's license. That has all changed now, but it wasn't the fault of our big neighbor to the north. There is no trade problem that I am aware of.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
jon z said:
Is it possible that there is some US vs Canadian made product thing going on here that, being an outsider from England, I'm missing?

I tend to look at a Canadian product the same way I look at a US product - I expect it to be of good quality, and definitely much better quality than many of the products that are made in Asia, etc. There are also some great boots made in Britain - I have been greatly enjoying my new William Lennons, and they were less expensive than either Wesco's or Vibergs. Putting all politics aside, country of origin is less relevant than we think - I tend to feel that craftsmanship and quality materials are the most important elements in a good product. I have seen high quality products from China and low quality products form the USA as well. That being said, I still prefer to support American workers, and therefore I try to buy American when I can.

I am pretty sure I have heard another member here discuss owning a pair of Vibergs and liking them. I can't remember the specific thread, but I remember reading it.

As Wesco's are concerned, they cost about $70 - $100 more than the price you mentioned for the Vibergs ($320). Having looked at both, I just would rather have the Wesco's. That doesn't mean the Vibergs are any lower in quality, it's just my personal opinion.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will say this about the mystery surrounding Viberg boots-
they appear to have very poor distribution. I know a place not
far from where I live that carries Wesco. The selection of retailers
for Viberg in all of California is pretty amazingly limited. The closest
retailer to the San Francisco Bay Area is at least a couple of hours'
drive away.

Papa M

A-List Customer
jon z said:
He doesn't say he has a pair. He just makes this rather general statement without any background as to why.

Jon Z - A pal of mine has just imported some Viberg models from Japan and he assures me that they are extremely good quality.

I would have bought a pair myself but I've just bought from Japan some Cushman Lineman boots which cost nearly 300 quid (but are absolutely worth it!).

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
From what I have read of Jansolo, if he says they are superbly crafted, I believe him. I do understand that without any background of a person (what he finds superb), the statement doesnt mean anything else then an opinion and that can differ alot.

The comment came with a picture tho, and to me they look excellent and not like a fashionboot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points