Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victorian gentlemans clothing, where to find information?

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I know that this isn't related to the intent of the thread poster, but in your opinion, do you think some of these Victorian style waistcoats could work with more modern suits as well? I think many of them look nice, but maybe it calls for the whole look in general.

As a matter of fact, I have rocked one of my victorian waistcoats (red paisley brocade with shawl collar, single breasted) with my gray three button single breasted suit and received enthusiastic compliments on the ensemble. In the past, I have worn contrasting colour waistcoats with modern suits (I once did a tan/beige waistcoat under a black double breasted suit with a deep red tie and also got unsolicited compliments from strangers), so I think it's really a matter of pattern/colour coordination and such. I can tell you that in the Victorian era, it was very popular to have a contrasting waistcoat under a frock or sack suit; waistcoats were seen much as ties are today, as a splash of colour/texture to set off a suit.

filfoster

One Too Many
I also have a bit of an interest in the turn-of-the-century era. While looking for information on the fall of the frock coat, I came across this website: http://ushist.com/victorian_mens_clothing_f.shtml

In the site's menswear section, they offer made-to-order sack suits. I can't speak for period accuracy, though they are supposedly reproductions. It looks like a very fine product. I'm not really sure if they're cut with the high armholes and other details that the Fedora Lounge endorses, but then again, I don't think the early sack suits were as structured and well-tailored as the clothing of the Golden Era. These sacks are made of pure wool, and look like quite a step up from the stage props offered by Gentleman's Emporium.

I'd love to read a full review of the suit, if you were to choose this route.

I am concerned that this site appears to use wholesale, images from www.quartermastershop.com I am not aware there is any connection and the Quartermaster Shop has been around for a long, long time.

gfish

New in Town
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/s...rect)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=125328778

I have purchased several items from Gentlemans Emporium and so far been quite satisfied. You just have to be careful to know what you're buying and avoid the polyester stuff if you don't want that.

I've only bought a few pieces from them, but the quality was good for the price. I can't speak to how accurate they are as reproductions, though. (I'm going for a more self-consciously eclectic look anyway.)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Bumpage to this thread, because Victoriana is the bee's knees, and because I have the word straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, on page 44 on the subject of non matching waistcoats, the author states that it is safest to wear them with other separates, but goes on to say:

"That said, it is remarkable the transformation that can be wrought upon the most ordinary of informal two piece suits by the addition of just the 'right' unmatching waistcoat, so judicious experimentation is recommended."

This advice is given in the context of modern dress, not Victorian revival, so my personal experience has been backed up by the writings of Mr. Oscar Lenius. The author also advises in an earlier paragraph that when the jacket is buttoned, only the top button area of the waistcoat should be visible, otherwise the waistcoat detracts from the tie. I committed that faux pas, but I feel that the effect wasn't too terrible because the waistcoat was of a darker solid colour and the tie was a fairly vibrant MacKenzie tartan.

Hope that's helpful for the original question!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I know that this isn't related to the intent of the thread poster, but in your opinion, do you think some of these Victorian style waistcoats could work with more modern suits as well? I think many of them look nice, but maybe it calls for the whole look in general.

You be the judge:
newsuit001.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dandysuit, if you want to gain customers with social media I would suggest to choose a less aggressive tone. If the quality is there the happy costumers will recommended you ...
Say, do you have better pictures and more details about the club collar shirts? The fabrics look nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner