Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vietnam era US Navy Pea Coat Size 44

pgoat

One Too Many
This is a Vietnam era mens military issue pea coat. It is in decent shape, in a very hard to find larger size. It is labeled 44R and it fits identically to another pea coat I am selling here in much better condition. This one is a 3-button double breasted model typical of this era. It was manufactured in 1970 by the Bonham Manufacturing Company, one of the main contractors for these government issued garments.

00u0u_kpa1pg7vnf5_1200x900.jpg

More photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44195255@N04/albums/72157687075194633

I am 5'8" and weigh 175 pounds, and normally take a 40-42 suit, and a medium in shirts and jackets, etc. The coat is definitely a bit long in the body and sleeves on me, with more than ample room in the chest and shoulders for a sport coat or my thickest sweaters underneath; I finally grabbed a few size 42 coats from this era and decided they fit me much better. I would recommend this for someone 5'10-6' who takes a 44-46 jacket. It could be a very roomy "Large" or a fitted XL.

CHEST: 48"
SHOULDERS: 21"
LENGTH w/ Collar: 33.75"
Sleeves: 25.25"

If you know vintage pea coats you are aware that the older wool (Vietnam era and earlier) was a "Kersey" Blue - this is a very dark but beautiful sapphire blue, not the very blackish wool of later coats. The main photo shows the coat using a flash, to showcase the very fine condition; it does NOT look light grey like that in person! The pocket photo is closer but you need to see the coat outdoors in natural light to appreciate the gorgeous deep blue.

The older coats were much better tailored - higher arm holes, and a more tapered waist for a more fitted look. The newer black wool coats are straighter and baggier by comparison.

This one is in good, presentable shape; it is no pristine museum piece, but is still super warm and fully functional as a daily wearer. The inner label is still perfect. The exterior wool has some signs of wear. The inner satin blue lining looks nice overall, but some of the seams (along the armholes, for example) have come loose and need to be restitched although the coat is perfectly wearable as is. There is some fraying along the pocket, button hole and sleeve cuff edges (see photo). The collar button is a replacement and the upper anchor button looks rough, but works fine.

The two side hand warmer pockets had some holes so they were repaired professionally with soft, thick new cotton lining (see photo). It's a very close match to the original lining in the inner chest pocket.

I am 5'8" and weigh 200 pounds, and normally take a 42-44 suit. The coat is definitely a bit long in the body and sleeves on me, with more than ample room in the chest and shoulders for my thickest sweaters. I would recommend this for someone 5'10-6' who takes a 44-46 jacket.

Just looking for $50 for this one.

pgoat

One Too Many
This one is as well - I call it sapphire but only to distinguish it from current black ones. I used the flash in most pics to try and highlight details. It looks very dark blue in person/natural light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21