Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinage Ties

Pantherman

New in Town
How does one tell if a tie is truly vintage? I was looking at a supposed 40's tie at smokydiva's that has no tags, is there a website to help me identify vintage (40's) ties?

Thanks,

Pantherman

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm no expert, but in my own experience (I'm building a collection):

Width varies. Generally speaking 3&3/4" - 4&1/4" or more wide.
Vintage ties have no "keeper" at the back of the wide part.
They have no interfacing to add thickness or body.
They are often unmarked.
Vintage ties are generally much shorter than modern ties.

Silk, rayon and other fabrics are found.

Pantherman

New in Town
Thanks Scotrace, I forgot to mention that the one that I was looking at a narrow tie that supposedly came from the 40's, here's the desc if it helps any.

40s Gentleman Elegant Narrow Woven Tie Browns

Description

Here's a beautiful woven acetate/rayon 40s tie with geometric patterns in browns, black and tan. Commonly called cravats, I love the look of these narrow ties. This one is a bit wider than some but still only about 2-1/2" wide at the widest point. No tags on this, but its condition is excellent and clean.

Scroll down to see more info on this item below!

Facts

YEAR:....1940s

MAIN COLOR(S)...BROWNS, BLACK, TAN

DESIGNER:...NOT MARKED

MATERIAL:...65% ACETATE, 35% RAYON

CONDITION:...In EXCELLENT condition

Dimensions

OVERALL LENGTH:...54"

WIDTH:...2-1/2" (At widest part of tie)

thanks

Pantherman

the length test is a good one.

The best way to learn is to betake yourself to a good vintage clothing store - with an employee that actually knows what they're talking about - and speak to them. Get them to show you ties from the various eras and describe the features. This is what i did many years ago (well, not that many ... 6 or so). I can now run my hand through the racks at Goodwill and select the vintage by touch alone (doesn't always work, because some of the fabrics are still used). At the least, you get the feel for polyester. You'll come to gag at the touch of a polyester tie.

bk

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Although it's very easy for me to pick the one vintage tie out of display of 100 just by feel and design. I tell people that a 1940s tie will just flow like a thin ribbon as you pull it across your hand. New ties just don't do that. The material some of the 1940s are made of already have small design patterns in them and can be seen by reflecting light.

forgot to mention: the labels on 30s 40s vintage ties are quite distinctive also. If there's a store tag, it will generally be found at the thin end of the tie and will usually be a small black rectangle of fabric bearing the store name. The maker label will also generally be found at the thin end and will generally be a simple small label bearing the maker name and possibly a style name. They are usually reserved with a distinct lack of ostentation (thought there are exceptions, as with everything else in the vintage clothing line).

As someone mentioned earlier there will be no 'keeper'. for some reason it took many years for this design feature to be utilised in mass production ties.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda