Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Balloon Tire Bike for Sale at Geneseo NY

KilroyCD

One Too Many
A friend of mine (and soon to be Lounger once he's approved) wanted me to post that he has a nice woman's prewar Rollfast for sale. It will be on display at the reenactor's area at the Geneseo Airshow on July 11-13. It's complete, and the seat and tires shown in the photo have been replaced with the correct ones. The original paint on the frame is in nice condition, but the chain guard was repainted (but not masked very well). The overspray will clean off with some rubbing compound. The bike was photographed in April, and my friend has cleaned and polished the chrome and paint. New whitewall tires are installed and a period correct seat is also installed. It's a nice classic bicycle that's ready to ride. He will also have a 28" woman's Raleigh Roadster available at the event as well. Look for them at the Airmen's Preservation Society's Army Air Force display at the show.
a45e.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Thanks to Chris for posting this ad. But now that I'm here I can add some details. First the bike looks far better now that I've been cleaning it then it does in that picture. I treat my bicycles like fine automobiles. I've got two hours into cleaning the front wheel and fender alone. I polished out the paint with 0000 grade steel wool (thats extra fine) followed by some Meguires Swirl Remover. This was then coated over with Mothers Carnuba Wax. The bike is not free of nicks, scratches and scrapes. But the wax seals over these so that they do not rust and get worse. I discovered a slight tick to the front hub so I tore it down, degreased it and regreased the front wheel bearings. This is the third most original balloon tire bicycle I have owned and is the most original pre-war balloon tire bicycle I own. The new tires I'm installing are Kenda whitewalls. The white pinstripes and darts are now white not yellow, the overspray from the chain guard did clean off and the blue paint is deeper and darker then the picture shows. Really stunning. And yes I do also have a Raleigh 28" rod brake Roadster. Rides like a giraffe :) Fun and sturdy. Good for commuting or reenacting. Actually my wife did used to use it for commuting before she changed to a job 15 miles away instead of 2.

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Well that is the before shot. The bike is still available. When the Wx clears off I'll get an after shot and post it. Actually a couple of pictures.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana