Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Barnstormer Help?

Michupnorth

New in Town
HI! I am a frequent "lurker" here, and have really gotten an education from the "Fedorites..." Recently, I purchased a jacket at an estate sale, having NO idea what it was other than really heavy;) I have it listed on ebay...and am still so curious as to it's origins. Its probably titled all wrong...but I'm not really concerned about the sale price. I'm just hoping someone can help me with identifying it. This is not an attempt to sell it either....I have "googled" for hours and am still feeling like I don't know enough. Maybe someone here can help? Here is the listing:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190448335459 Thanks for any information in advance.:) Michele in Northern Wisconsin

Heavyduti

Familiar Face
Opinion on vintage jacket

It looks like a police motorcycle coat to me. The patch shape is right and the holes on the chest would be for a badge.

Edward

Bartender
Agreed. I think you're a bit off on the sizing, though.... A contemporary 42R suit coat has a typical pit to pit measurement of 45-46"; I would suggest that this is probably closer to a 38-40 coat than a 40-42 - 38 if the wearer wants to wear a sweater below it at all (not that I think it would be necessary looking at the lining, though!). Nice coat.

dep126

Familiar Face
Agreed that it was most certainly a police jacket. The tab on left chest is definitely a badge holder, however much different than the one on my work jacket. Most badge holders have only two holes for a single badge pin. This one appears to have four which would tell me it must have been a really big badge. I'm guessing probably from the northeast somewhere, most likely new England. Police uniforms elsewhere are much more modern. It also only had a patch on one shoulder. I know lots of agencies in new jersey, Massachusetts, Vermont, etc only wore patches on one shoulder. Nice jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters