Vintage Boxer Shorts... any interest?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Indy Magnoli, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Vendor

Would there be any interested in vintage-style cotton boxer shorts? The price would likely be somewhere around $30 a pair. They would be made in standard sizing from Small to XL.

[​IMG]

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

BXRS likes this.
  2. Upgrade

Upgrade One of the Regulars

Always willing to find a new source of yoke front boxers.

Does the waistband have straps or elastic? What patterns are you planning?

3. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Vendor

The waistband would have elastic in the back and a flat front.

4. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'd love to buy a pair to try them once I shrink a bit (currently an XXL), though in all honesty for day to day wear I'd be looking for something at a much lower unit price. It is unfortunate that there isn't a big enough market for this sort of thing to make it viable at the sort of price where I could buy a dozen of them; I guess a lot of folks either don't want to wear period style underwear or don't feel it matters because it's not seen and it doesn't tend to affect the way men's clothes hang (as opposed to foundation garments being so important to the right look for women).

I suspect an elastic waistband would be more popular, but then it would also be closer what is already commercially available too. I have long meant to try a pair without elastic to see if that gives them greater longevity: for me the first thing that goes on a pair of undershorts is the elastic, usually long before the material wears or the seems give way.

5. F. J.

F. J. One of the Regulars

I agree with Edward and would suggest to make them with a French-back buttoning or with ties, which would make them more authentic to the period.

Buttons:
    [​IMG]

Ties:
    [​IMG]

I have a few pairs of Brooks Brothers’ yoke-fronts (pictured above). One reason I don’t wear them too often anymore is because they have a seam down the centre back. Also, I have had the stitching come out around the pleats, which would not be a problem on your flat-front version. If yours had what I believe is termed a “balloon seat” instead of a centre seam, it would put your offering above Brooks, which sells for the same price.

Sir RBH and Edward like this.
  6. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Yes, the tie and button setup would be more authentic, but also more difficult to size, more difficult to wear, and problematic to launder (The strings kept pulling out of the ones I gave up on wearing ages ago).
    This proposes a nice compromise.

Edward likes this.
  7. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

They look wonderful.. I have been looking for a source of bespoke vintage style boxer shorts.. similar to these/Brooks Bros.. but a little longer in the leg.. and with brace tapes...

8. BXRS

BXRS New in Town

FE937328-BD05-4E91-B96D-56F3BD2A3112.jpeg YES, I would love to find a new source for yoke front boxers. If you do this I would prefer them in 1950’s geometric prints but would consider solids.
    I also prefer a longer leg like that of Brooks Brothers.

Edward likes this.
  9. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

I can supply the Brooks brothers if you are looking for some. please let me know. Thank you. Graham
    Fogey Unlimited