Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Brand Loyalty

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I was wondering if any of you are loyal to certain vintage brands? My step mom never uses any dishwashing liquid but Joy because it's what her mother used. I'm vintage brand loyal to Tide, Noxzema, Ivory soap (can't stand the smell of the body washes), Secret antiperspirant, Ponds cold cream, and Jergens lotion. My dad always made sure I had a little bottle of Jergens lotion and small pack of Kleenex to carry in my purse when I was a child. The cherry almond scent of Jergens always reminds me of him. Anything you're willing to pay more for because it's a certain brand you've used for years?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My working life has been a manager in the supply chain. That means the trucks that bring your stores supplies come from some vast dispatch warehouse, I was in charge of such warehouse. Being so close to what the trade call FMCG, or fast moving consumer goods, I learned all about own brands and which companies supply them. You would be amazed. We are all familiar with regular items like toilet tissue, washing up liquids and such like, but you might be surprised to learn that the popular fragrance from Avon they call: Avon No.7, sold at your door for three pounds, or whatever your currency you use, is also one and the same perfume as Georgio Beverley Hills, sold for ten times the amount as Avon number seven sells for. So brand loyalty, no, not for me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wash my clothes in nothing but Fels-Naptha soap, chipped into the washing machine with a cheese grater. I like the smell -- which smells like *soap,* not like an April morning, a field of clover, or a French cathouse -- plus it's extremely inexpensive, and it works. What more could I want?

The only mustard I'll have in the house is Gulden's, because it's what I grew up eating, and I don't particularly like any other kind.

I always drink a glass of Alka-Seltzer before bed, and can't stand the taste of the store-brand version.

When it comes to tea, it's Red Rose for me or nothing. Once again, it's the only kind we had in the house when I was growing up, and other kinds just don't taste right.

I'll only buy Prince macaroni, even though it's not made in New England anymore. It's still cheaper than the fancy-pantsy brands, and it still tastes like it's supposed to taste.

Edward

Bartender
In the sane vein, Sainsbury's own brand "Irish Whiskey" is Jamesons.

There are brands I stick with, but mostly in clothes and guitars, less so in food.

Oh... I'll pay the extra for real Irn Bru, though.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately many vintage brands are simply now intellectual property and the trademark is licensed to shoddy manufacturers. Also, formulations are frequently changing.

Vicks Vapor Rub is used regularly in our house, in part because my girlfriend's family believes it is as close to a cure-all as the world has

A can of Bon Ami is always under our kitchen sink and gets used regularly

We, too, always have Gulden's Mustard in the house, but have to admit, we sometimes have other brands as well

Lee and Perrins Worcestershire sauce is always in the fridge, but it is usually used as an ingredient; however, occasionally it goes directly on a grill cheese sandwich

Beefeater Gin and Bacardi's Rum are our go-to Gin and Rum brands (have tried others, but always come back to these two)

Benedictine and Brandy

Nobert

Practically Family
Colgate toothpaste―mostly to keep me from going batty at the store, where the mosiac wall of brands offering to make my teeth dazzling tends to be dazzling to my faculties.
Old Spice deoderant―it's what I've always used and I'm wary of taking chances with my personal odor. Or asking others to. The one change I've made is to switch from the traditional scent to the more neutral "fresh."
Sheaffer Skrip―I've used Pelikan, Montblanc and Parker Quink, but always come back to this old standby. I'm not sure why.
Fruit of the Loom boxers―as if talking about my deoderant wasn't already more than you wanted to know.
And although I like to think of myself as the kind of person who's resistant to adverising, dammit if that chick hasn't won me over, so I'll take Bon Ami over Comet, if given the choice. I doubt there's any effective difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk