Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Buco J-24 Stitching.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi all,

I was doing some sunday morning leather stalking online and saw this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buco-J-2...401238?hash=item33f574bf96:g:fycAAOSwsj5bnv~e

A close inspection of the pictures made me notice something i had never noticed before,
for some reason this J-24 is constructed mostly using a double top stitched flat seam rather than the usually seen folded seam with a single row of top stitch.

Here is a "regular" modern J-24, as currently offered by RMC and showing the stitching you would expect to see on the back and sleeves of a J-24, notice only the kidney panel is double top stitched to the back panel:
(@stephenc2032 i reused you picture, i can use another one if it is a problem)

Here is the vintage one with the double top stitched flat seam on the back , sides and arms:

4jZYU6N.jpg

w4UamfH.jpg

The construction of that one looks a lot more like what they did on their early models like the JH-1:

NiiDDxy.jpg

PM47qvq.jpg

It seems most current J-24 reproductions go for "regular" folded stitching, probably because it is easier and less time consuming than the double top stitch option.

What is going on here? Is this a very early J-24?
Did they switch over from the double top stitch over to the single top stitch folded seam sometime over the life of the J-24?

Any info from the vintage collectors would be welcome, I can't find anything online or in the Rin Tanaka book.
It seems the JH-1, J-21, J-22, J-23 an J-31 all had double top stitch, but that they phased that out around the time of the J-24 (J-24,J-24H, J-71, J-82 and J-100) all have single top stitch folded seam construction.

I've never seen this sort of stitch on any (photo of a) Buco J-20-something. Or on any other jacket for that matter. I think the jacket above has just been restitched. Possibly repaired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112