Vintage Buttons...?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HistoricDetroit, Nov 17, 2005.

1. HistoricDetroit

HistoricDetroit New in Town

Seeing as how it was pouring rain here in Michigan the other day, I decided to wear my tried and true 1940's Hughes and Hatcher raincoat. Somewhere in the process of racing across the college parking lot in the rain, and manuvering my school books between the buttons of my coat, I lost a button. When I realized this the next day, I drove back and frantically searched the parking lot, to no avail.

Now, my favorite coat is missing one of its beautiful marbleized green buttons... does anyone know a good sources for vintage buttons (I've tried eBay, will continue to) or anyplace or anyone that can reproduce old buttons?

Help if you can, I'm rather distraught...! :cry:

2. MrBern

MrBern I'll Lock Up

Why dont you post a closeup of the button? Someone might have a loose one for you.

3. Mycroft

Mycroft One Too Many

I know that you can get replacment buttons in the Clothing District of NYC.

4. HistoricDetroit

HistoricDetroit New in Town

Heya Folks,
    I finally got around to borrowing a digital camera and taking some photos of the coat and button. Naturally, only one photo came out good. The button I need measures 1" around. I could also use an extra or two in the same design, at .75" if they are available in case I happen to lose one of cuff buttons in the future. If anyone has any extras for sale or knows where I can nab some, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Matthew

[​IMG]

5. Absinthe_1900

Absinthe_1900 One Too Many

You should try running a search for Bakelite, or Catalin buttons on eBay, you may find some extras.