Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Collar Bars: Too Small for Modern Shirts?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I picked up a few vintage collar bars at a thrift store a bit back, but I haven't been wearing them since they seem to be too small to fit. The places which you slide onto the shirt are very tight, and have difficulty going on the shirt. The bars are also very short, making the collars very close together. Why is this? Are they boy's collar bars, or are they intended for spearpoint collars?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
most vintage (20s-40s) collar bars are around 2", a tad more or less, and comfortably fit shirts of the same period.
any sort of modern collar with a 'spread' won't work.

Last edited:

Luis

One of the Regulars
Yes, I think a spear point collar shirt would work best with the collar bars. sadly they are not readily available as the "classic spread" you posted.

collar.jpg

Luis

One of the Regulars
So I'd assume that 70s shirts would work well for collar bars, as they have wide collars?

One would assume since the collars are larger than modern ones. I believe the 70's were a comeback of the 1930's collars but with more selection of colors and designs. If the spread is minimum it will work. Not sure if all 1970's collars will have minimum spread, maybe someone else can chime in.
Here is a site for some ideas another lounger recommended to me.

http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/spearpoint-collar-shirt-sh190.html

TabCollarGuy

New in Town
So I'd assume that 70s shirts would work well for collar bars, as they have wide collars?

Not sure about 70's shirts, but I have found that the older pre-80's collar bars hold the collar together much better. Those Eighties ones executives wore did not hold the collar flaps that well. If you want it nice and snug, go vintage. Some even have springs and screws in them, and hold the knot centered quite well, so much that you can really move around a lot and not worry about having to straighten the knot. Its a really masculine look I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto