Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Dance Clothing

maisie

Practically Family
1930s dance shoes

Does anyone know where i could get a pair of 1930s dance shoes (the strappy sort) that were worn with evening dresses either in the the style or original in about a size 9???:D

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hi Maisie, is that an American size 9? What is that in UK sizes? I will keep an eye out for anything that turns up in London/UK.

maisie

Practically Family
Yep, US size 9 or UK size 7, I don't really min if there are repros either so any help will be great!!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
How about these?

malena-red-3-lth-lg.jpg

They are at www.22tangoshoes.com

I'm sure I can come up with better ones given time...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tourbillion said:
How about these?

malena-red-3-lth-lg.jpg

They are at www.22tangoshoes.com

I'm sure I can come up with better ones given time...
Those are super cute!! I might just have to buy a pair.
Maisie, I got cute ones at Apple Dance Shoes. I just did a search on "swing dance shoes", and found a ton of sites that had lots of vintage inspired shoes.
Here's the pair that I got at the begining of the year. But search through their site, they have a lot of cute shoes. And to top it all off, they are really comfortable, which is hard to find in an actual pair of vintage shoes. I just noticed, now they are on sale! Bummer for me, lucky for you, if you like them...
http://www.appledanceshoes.com/product_info.php?cPath=215&products_id=451

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Obviously I am going to have to start my own reproduction shoe company. Just so that I can be properly shod.

How about these?

Ritas-Bge-3-SS-001.jpg

They are still not strappy, and I am not entirely happy with the heels, but these are okay too:

Teresa-HS-3-Blk-&-Bge.jpg

The above shoes are from www.laducashoes.com

They do custom work, so maybe if people inform them that they need more selection they might start to give in. They are kinda expensive though.

cemetarian

Vendor
I need some advice! Swing/Lindy Dance Dress

You all know by now that I sell patterns. But I really run into a problem with the 40's dress patterns. Ya know the every day simple little swingy dress patterns. I hate to stick swing or Rosie or any of those keyword onto something that doesn't really fit.

So I'm asking you Lindy Hoppers/Swing Dancers........aside from a fuller skirt and a comfortable waistline what is the criteria you look for in a dress.

I'm thinking extended shoulder cap sleeves which wouldn't bind......If I were doing it that would be a criteria........what else?

Does this seem to fit the bill: (these are not listed anywhere, but I'm just asking for informational purposes.

M6444_a.jpg

and how about this one:

M6758_a.jpg

satindoll

New in Town
Ok, since I swing dance, and sell vintage clothing, I'll offer my opinion for what it's worth:) When I'm searching for clothes to dance in, I think of a "swing dress" or "swing skirt" as something thats fuller, that will twirl. And that's the keyword I use for clothing like that when I go to sell something. If I'm going to sell something that's in the same style as your patterns, I'm more inclined to use the phrase "swing era". That's just because of the way I personally envision "swing" dresses to look. Does that make sense?

It would be interesting to hear others' viewpoints on the term.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I agre with Satin Doll. I dance as well, and if I saw lindy or dance dress in the description, I would have felt mislead. Definitely swing era, and you*could* dance in them, but I wouldn't buy them if I was buying one to really be dancing in. If that makes sense. They are super cute though, especially the top one with the cap sleeves! :D

cemetarian

Vendor
OK..that is really what I wanted to hear................sometimes it is so difficult to know exactly which words to use to target just the right buyer. You want people to look but you want to be accurate............or at least I do...........but it's soooooooooooooooo hard to do.

Thank you and I'd love to hear more about what you look for............is there a particular "sweep" at the hem that qualifies?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
When I look for dresses to dance in, particularly, swing/lindy/balboa, I like either a full skirt, something that twirls nicely, or swishes.. it's all about working that skirt, if you know what I mean. I like them past the knee to mid calf length.
A-line's are great and if I want something slimmer, I go for pencil style.

Also for dresses to dance in, you want something where you can lift your arms easily and not rip the dress (which I have done to too many vintage dresses:( )

This is what I am looking for when I look for dresses to dance in.

cemetarian

Vendor
OK...I got the arm covered with cap sleeves....but still would like to know what you're looking for in hem sweep.......like the little pleated number has a 65 inch sweep..is that enough or do you need more....can you tell I don't dance......LOL..or at least not that vigorously......

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "sweep", as I'm not that educated in sewing (although I do sew some easy things;) )

Is that the circle.. uh.. diameter..spread?, maybe, of the skirt?

I'm afraid someone else might better answer that question.. and it's possible it could be a personal preference. Sorry that I can't answer that one for you!:(

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I know this is in no way technical, but the more the sweep the more the leads become mezmerized and want to dance with you, so the fuller the skirt or at least the more movement it has, the more exciting you look as a follow on the floor. For some reason that age-old twirl of the skirt still captivates them. ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I wouldn't wear a cap sleeve to dance in. They cut into the top of the arm too much. I would go for a set in sleeve that's not too tight and a skirt with a good flare at the least.

I would say the pictures you listed are not suitable 'dance' dresses. I'd just describe them as 40s/WW2 era day dresses.

cemetarian

Vendor
The sweep is the circumference of the hemline.......and is easier to type than circumference.....LOL

OK.back to the drawing board......I can see I have more research and thinking to do...or just leave that particular keyword off of everything since it seems to be a very individual preference.

Thank you all very much.

Rita

epr25

Practically Family
I also have a problem kind of like this. I found a lot of about 10-15 sewing trnasfers (I am assuming) from the 40's - 50's and I am not sure where to list them or how? What do you sewing ladies think?

Snookie

Practically Family
As a sewing swing dancer, I've come to expect sellers to misuse "swing" and "lindy hop" and apply them to clothing that I'd never wear dancing. But that's just how it is. [huh] But I think it's neat you want to educate yourself and reach your target market.

I like the suggestions made to use the terms 40s/WW2 era. I think "swing era" is appropriate, even if it isn't a great dance dress...it gives the casual buyer a nice mental image.

Most swing dancers wear jeans these days, but here's some examples of what's been popular in recent years:

Jumpers, six/eight gored skirts, wide leg pants, midriff tops, anything sailor themed. Not too many pleats. We'd rather have soft gathers and skirts that flare. Separates are great, too - I'm partial to long sleeved blouses with obnoxiously large collars (and of course skirts and jumpers). The satin one (3rd down) would be a great Balboa option, as balboa dancers try to be "prettier" than their wild lindy hop sisters.

0506-56.jpg

528.jpg

f979_1JPG.jpg

p30lg867.jpg

DubarryJumper.jpg

GoredDressWVariationPattern.jpg

scan_55421710_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points