Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage FQHH Rich-Sher cross-zip jacket

Gamma68

One Too Many
Fresh out of the box. Just wore it over what I was already wearing for quick photos.

First impressions: The fit is nice and comfy. The leather is quite nice but feels a little dirty. It's definitely dry but not cracking/flaking. Pecards is needed pronto. The jacket has a comfortable weight and is nowhere near as heavy as the FQHH Aero I posted here earlier.

Talon zipper pulls places it in the 1950s, I believe.

There are some condition issues with the lining at the armpits, inner cuffs and at the belt line--to be expected I suppose for its age. It's wearable but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to get those areas fixed.

A zipper pull is missing on the chest pocket. Where can I find a replacement? All the zips glide smoothly and appear original.

The underside of the snaps read "RAU FASTENER CO. PROV. R.I." which may or may not provide a clue as to where Rich-Sher Sportswear was based. Anyone know anything about the company?

Not sure if the belt buckle is original. It appears to be the right size/shape but feels light and looks too shiny/new.

Some quick fit pics here followed by detailed shots in subsequent posts. I'm eager to hear your impressions.
IMG_1008.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations Gamma, what a beaut! The classic 1950s black cross zip. Fit looks just right to me. The maker is not familiar to me, but the writing on the tag along with the zip and overall design scream 1950s. Well worth the effort to fix the lining issues I reckon. Looking forward to seeing some more pics after a good conditioning. Total winner!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That looks amazing! You also did an incredible job representing it in your photos. Nice work! Great Macro shots of the snaps, and details. :)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a perfect fit. I have one Rich-Sher HH half belt. The label is Top Shelf. I don't know anything about the company or label. All the jackets I have seen have been high quality leather. The lining looks to be in much better shape than most vintage jackets of that era.

Probably a great value for the money.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks to everyone for your nice comments. I've cleaned it and have started the leather dressing process. It's a thirsty devil and really soaking it up. I think it will make a nice difference.

One thing I've noticed that strikes me as odd is the misshapen ring pull on one of the zipper pockets. I figured it just got a little mangled over the years. But when I compare my jacket to another Rich Sher I found online, I see what appears to be the same misshaped pull.

My jacket:

img_1018-jpg.127498

Online jacket below. Is this just an odd coincidence?

s-l1600.jpg

As for the "Rich Sher" (sometimes listed as "Rich-Sher") brand name, I've searched high and low and come up with practically nothing. Even a newspapers.com search doesn't reveal much. The last reference I found is from a Dec. 4 1970 ad in the Chippewa Herald (Wisconsin) newspaper.

This is a Nov. 24 1969 ad in LaCrosse Wisconsin Tribune:

The_La_Crosse_Tribune_Mon__Nov_24__1969_.jpg

The earliest reference I found is from the Feb. 16, 1950 Herald and News (Klamath Falls, Oregon) paper:

Herald_and_News_Thu__Feb_16__1950_.jpg

However, I'm now thinking "Rich Sher" is not the maker but a name used by the "N.S. Company." Notice the N and S in the shield on my jacket tag:

img_1037-jpg.127508

Here's a tag with company logo in this later wool buffalo plaid jacket I spotted online:

s-l1600.jpg

There are other examples with the arched NS CO logo. Almost all the examples of later Rich Sher jackets I've seen online are wool or corduroy. Maybe they stopped making leather jackets after the 1950s?

Of course, searching for NS Co. is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Speaking of searching, anyone know where can I get a ring pull for the upper pocket zipper? It's missing and I'd like to add one to match the others.

Stunning! Beyond stunning! This is the kind of true, proper, perfect cross zip they have completely forgot how to do anymore... Everything, every detail is perfection. Look at the collar, the sharp angle of the chest pocket, front dip, shaped epaulets, inside sleeve zips, belt, etc., etc. You got a perfection there.

As for restoring it, I could be wrong but the leather looks more like the so called naked hide. In which case, I'd use Lexol on this jacket as it'll easily and quickly soak in. Pecards might just sit there on the jacket for days...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Stunning! Beyond stunning! This is the kind of true, proper, perfect cross zip they have completely forgot how to do anymore... Everything, every detail is perfection. Look at the collar, the sharp angle of the chest pocket, front dip, shaped epaulets, inside sleeve zips, belt, etc., etc. You got a perfection there.

I agree it a stand out jacket, all 50s proud!

There is a Hugh world of Perfecto, cross zip style jackets out there old and new. A lot of goods ones in both camps. So many variations, different prices, different quality. Has to be the most popular style of leather jacket produced. Easy to see why it is easy to own more than one.

You wear it well. You give it that 50s "gentleman" rider look, very purposeful while being nicely tailored. You picture looks like a page from a 50s Buco catalog!

Rich-Sher was a label, probably showed up in a lot of stores outside the Standards of the Day like Sears, Montgomery Ward, J.C. Penney. They were made to a high standard. I've seen many styles with the label, they stand out. I've seen quite a few variations of their label. This one I don't recall seeing, it looks different. Most I've seen look like post-war jackets.

When I look at the jacket I see something expensive that was worn and well taken care of. Quality leather jackets have always been expensive. Probably as good a leather jacket as was being sold in it's day. Like to know who made them. I believe some of the Sears Jackets were made by Appalachian. I have had identical Oakbrook and Appalachian jackets. Probably never know.

Vintage jackets are often great values in price and looks. This jacket is a great statement to those values.

Well done. You wear a 42? I've got a few!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The Jacket is easily 60s years old. Has been worn, but respected. I've seen old and new fixes on hems and necklines. I've had pro work done, but the lining was much worse than this. I've had cuff ends covered. The hem and neck are really decent condition. Cuffs can really get ugly and are not that visible so I would fix that. I've owned/sold worse than this. The labels are very nice. Just continue to take care of it, someone before you did.

Gamma68

One Too Many

As for restoring it, I could be wrong but the leather looks more like the so called naked hide. In which case, I'd use Lexol on this jacket as it'll easily and quickly soak in. Pecards might just sit there on the jacket for days...

Thanks! The Pecards is absorbing well. I tried Lexol on the collar but I prefer Pecards. On this jacket, Lexol leaves a little film residue. But interestingly, I've found that Lexol does a better job than Pecards on keeping my recent Schott 626 feeling supple.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I agree it a stand out jacket, all 50s proud!

There is a Hugh world of Perfecto, cross zip style jackets out there old and new. A lot of goods ones in both camps. So many variations, different prices, different quality. Has to be the most popular style of leather jacket produced. Easy to see why it is easy to own more than one.

You wear it well. You give it that 50s "gentleman" rider look, very purposeful while being nicely tailored. You picture looks like a page from a 50s Buco catalog!

Thanks, Terry. I consider that high praise coming from a guy whose style and taste in leather jackets I've long admired.

To your point about the Buco catalog look, I don't think these Perfecto-style cross zips necessarily work only with jeans. It seems like just about all the vintage ads show men wearing them with khakis or something similar. Even men wearing ties! Maybe I'll try that look sometime this fall for kicks.

Vintage jackets are often great values in price and looks. This jacket is a great statement to those values.

Well done. You wear a 42? I've got a few!

I wear between 38-40 depending on the brand. This Rich Sher measures 18" at the shoulders and 22.5" at the chest.

Thanks! The Pecards is absorbing well. I tried Lexol on the collar but I prefer Pecards. On this jacket, Lexol leaves a little film residue. But interestingly, I've found that Lexol does a better job than Pecards on keeping my recent Schott 626 feeling supple.

Yeah, Pecards is great on leathers that don't have that tough, plasticy top coat. It's next to useless on Schott Steerhide, though. I somewhat prefer Lexol 'cause it absorbs quickly but each has its benefits.

Again, this is a truly stunning jacket. And I forgot to mention that it fits you great. I know you wanted to make that Aero your jacket but this one's it.

Gamma68

One Too Many
The Jacket is easily 60s years old. Has been worn, but respected. I've seen old and new fixes on hems and necklines. I've had pro work done, but the lining was much worse than this. I've had cuff ends covered. The hem and neck are really decent condition. Cuffs can really get ugly and are not that visible so I would fix that. I've owned/sold worse than this. The labels are very nice. Just continue to take care of it, someone before you did.

Do you mean you'd just leave the cuffs as-is since they're not visible? They are fairly tattered but I guess I could live with that for a while and see if it bugs me down the road.

I took a closer look at the zipper with the missing pull and noticed that the slot where the chain end would slip through is completely filled. Looks like this jacket never had a pull on that zip due to the manufacturing defect.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Yeah, Pecards is great on leathers that don't have that tough, plasticy top coat. It's next to useless on Schott Steerhide, though. I somewhat prefer Lexol 'cause it absorbs quickly but each has its benefits.

Again, this is a truly stunning jacket. And I forgot to mention that it fits you great. I know you wanted to make that Aero your jacket but this one's it.

Many thanks, Monitor. Actually, this jacket has the exact same measurements as that Aero, except the Rich-Sher is 1" longer at the sleeves and .5" wider at the belt line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider