Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Golf? Jacket

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi,

I picked this jacket up recently. It is very interesting, and I am not quite sure what to make of it.

It is made by Gieves, and would date to about the mid 1930s. The collar is very similar to collars I have seen Cecil Beaton wearing in this period. It is chamois leather lined, and the sleeves are lined in silk. The material is probably gabardine.

My theory is, it is a very early golf jacket, made when the British Golfing fashion was becoming more like the American (I.e. Flannels and jacket)

However, it could be for yachting perhaps?

Golf1.jpg

Golf2.jpg

Golf3.jpg

It is certainly not servants livery, it would have been for some sort of sport. None the less, I am happy with it, and it looks great with my light grey flannels.

Kind Regards

Ben

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Cool jacket!
Looks a little blousy for golf, but could be like you said, an early version of an "American" style jacket.

benstephens

Practically Family
Thankyou for your thoughts, the reason I was thinking golf is in the 1939 Army and Navy Store catologue. Sorry the picture is a little unclear, but this is the suggested golf blouse for 1939. I know these began to become popular a few years earlier than this and wondered if the one I found was an early jacket of this type?

They made this jacket in Leather and Gabardine. I would love one in leather.

an.jpg

Kind Regards

Ben

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Looks a little like an A1 jacket. I've seen post WWII golf jackets that looked like Ike jackets, but I've never seen a golf jacket like the one in your first post.

benstephens

Practically Family
Thankyou,

My theory was the Chamois leather would stop the wind, and the silk allows ease of arm movement.

As I said before the collar is very similar to jackets I have seen in the mid 30s, I think the style being taken from victorian clothing?

Cheers

Ben

Salv

One Too Many
It looks like it could be pre-war British cycle touring wear. There's no stiff collar to bunch up around the neck, and the buttons on the lapels would stop the lapels flapping in the breeze - the right hand lapel could be folded in for protection against the weather and the left hand lapel folded over it and buttoned up using the right hand lapel button. Also it's short so wouldn't catch on your knees as you pedalled. The chamois lining would be light but warm - essential ingredients in cycle wear - although it wouldn't be very practical in wet weather; but then that's what capes are for. Pre-war touring cyclists weren't as obsessed with streamlining as racing cyclists so the loose cut would be quite typical, and the slightly longer back is also typical of a cycling garment.

Mike1973 is a vintage bike fan - you could PM him and ask him to look in on the thread to see what he thinks.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Scotrace...

You're probably right- I should have thought of that- it does look like a short-waisted ski jacket, and the weight and lining material would be just about right for vigorous cross-country ski runs. I kept thinking that it must be waterproof for a reason, but it seemed cut wrong for a golf jacket.
Good observation!

benstephens

Practically Family
Thankyou for all your responses, It fits very nicely. Would a ski jacket not be heavier, although I can see the logic, I think though I go with the flow that it is not a golf jacket now. I went to the national portrait gallery at the weekend, and found a picture of Cecil Beaton wearing a jacket very similar while he was painting.

I think for the time being, I will wear it with light grey flannel trousers, and two tone white and brown shoes, it looks quite sporty whilst worn, all be it maybe for not its original use. What do people think?

Many Thanks

Ben

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Faux pas alert!!!....

Pardon me, Mr. Chevalier.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitcraft
Good observation!

Erm, thanks!

Erm, you're welcome!

Forum statistics