Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Green Horsehide Varsity Jacket - Opinions please?

Warbaby

One Too Many
I spotted this vintage two-tone green and yellow varsity jacket at the thrift shop today. I'm guessing it dates from the 50s - yes? I might pick it up as a restoration project. The cuffs are frayed but the leather is in good condition and will prolly be just fine after some re-shaping and a visit from Mr. Pecard.

Are jackets like this collectible/desirable/worth anything?

GreenLeather1cr.jpg

This is the only label:

GreenLeather3cr.jpg

Ditto. If you can buy it on the cheap, I'm confident there are several guys here who'd gladly take it off your hands and leave you with a few extra bucks for your trouble.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I went back to the thrift shop today and got the jacket. Unfortunately it's too small for me (about a 36, I think) but I decided to get it anyway because it's a pretty nifty jacket and I thought I might be able to make a couple of bucks on it to help support my thrift shop clothing addiction. Not sure yet how far I want to go with restoring it. I'll definitely give it a good saddle soaping and straighten out the curled pocket flaps, and treat it with Pecard's. Replacing the knit cuffs is a bit beyond my sewing skills, not to mention the unlikelyhood of finding similar cuffs, so I may try re-knitting the damage. Has anyone here had any success with cuff repairs like that?

Here are a few more photos of the jacket. I'm beginning to think that it may be older than the 50s - any opinions? BTW - these photos are a bit darker than the actual color which is pretty close to that shown in the first photos.

GreenJacket11_front.jpg

GreenJacket10_back2.jpg

The Lining
GreenJacket6_lining.jpg

Pocket Detail
GreenJacket3_pocket.jpg

Cuff Detail showing one of three small tears
GreenJacket5_cuff.jpg

Here are the other two tears
GreenJacket4_hole.jpg

GreenJacket8_hole.jpg

Buttonhole detail
GreenJacket7_buttonhole.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Tag makes me think thirties forties. But certain types of clothing, such as varsity jacket makers often would keep tags when more mainstream makers were changing them.

For some reason, Canadians tended to go in for the all leather jackets rather than the wool nd leather. They used them up till the seventies I think if not longer.

This is a rel beaut. I would wear it.

I would not touch much other than cleaning and reconditioning. Things in original shape have a value that is lost when it is mucked with.

It would likely be a good one for the japanese market. Take it to a respected dealer, or put it on ebay, but be sure to ship internationally.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Cool jacket -

I think that it's often better to leave vintage and antique wares as they are found rather than 'repairing' them. Just my opinion ...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
That is a great jacet. I suspect a seamstress/knitter could remedy the sleeves as they are not beyond repair. Maybe the holes/tears could be professionally repaired. The Japanese would pair big for that jacket.

himelator

Vendor
Your Jacket

Nice Jacket...Made in Toronto somewhere between 46-55. Horsehide, very nice, most likely made on Spadina. The horse came from Dominion Tanners (there were one or two companies that made this style outside toronto). Leather is sweet use beef talo treatment nothing stronger so you dont alter the colour of the leather. I used to have all the wool banding for these jackets but I cant find it anymore. Current value on ebay is about 80-125 bucks...street level in Japan is about 400...but the holes are problematic. I know people who buy these all the time including myself. Are you in the u.s. or Canada?

http://vintageleatherjackets.blogspot.com/

Himel

Warbaby

One Too Many
himelator - Thanks for the interesting info on the jacket. My knowledge is lacking when it comes to vintage leather jackets and I appreciate learning more about them.

I'm in Canada, but way over at the other end on Vancouver Island.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters