Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" Illnesses aka "I'm Old Fashioned whines for a moment".

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I get a tetanus shot every ten years, and always have a sore arm for a few days afterward, so I guess it's working. My hands and arms are always covered with cuts and wounds from work, so I figure I'd better not take chances.

But I don't remember getting a "booster shot" for anything else since maybe fifty years ago. I haven't caught any of what's been going around, so I'm optimistic they're all still working. One of the kids at work had whooping cough a few years back, and I remember thinking "Who gets whooping cough???" I guess a lot of people do now, because an epidemic of it swept the high school not long ago.

One of my closest friends was raised in Christian Science, and was never vaccinated for anything, but given all the stuff that's going around now, she's decided to go ahead and get her shots.

Does anyone get tonsilitis any more? It was one of the standard child ailments when I was growing up. I haven't heard of it in ages, but then we haven't had kids in the house in decades.

My two older brothers — one my senior by 15 months, the other by 26 months— and I all had our tonsils removed on the same day, in the same hospital, by the same surgeon. Package deal, I guess. I was 5, I think. Maybe 6. My memories of it are entirely unpleasant.

3fingers

One Too Many
My tonsils came out when I was in the 2nd grade. The main memory I have of it is being held down on the table while somebody tried to kill me with the ether mask and the vomiting after I woke up.
Unpleasant indeed.

My tonsils came out when I was in the 2nd grade. The main memory I have of it is being held down on the table while somebody tried to kill me with the ether mask and the vomiting after I woke up.
Unpleasant indeed.

My memories to a T.

I clearly recall a large hand on my chest pushing me back down as I reflexively resisted the gas. Then I was out.

And then, after the procedure, feeling as miserable as I ever had. And vomiting coagulated blood.

And then awakening and summoning the nurse (they still wore starched white dresses and those little caps back then) shortly after midnight demanding to know where my mother was. I had recently learned that the morning hours commenced at midnight and here it was after midnight according to that big clock on the wall and my mom had told me she would be there in the morning so where the hell was she?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Had mine out at four, in a Catholic hospital run by terrifying humorless nuns who made me eat Cream of Wheat whether I wanted it or not. The most vivid memory, though, was of another kid in the ward whose face had been horribly burned by hot bacon fat, and gave off a smell that I'll never, ever forget. I have often wondered where that kid ended up.

Not sure how I missed this thread back in the day, but...

I had Scarlett Fever as a child. I sort of remember it. Also had chicken pox when I was about 7, which means I got shingles a few years ago. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

As for immunizations, I had the standard lot back in the 60s. Those are good for like 10 years or so, so if you haven't had a booster since the Nixon Administration, they are no good anymore. Because I travel a lot internationally, to places where some of these diseases are still prevalent, I have to get routine boosters for all sorts of things; tetanus at whatever interval they recommend, diphtheria, measles, mumps, rubella, polio, hepatitis A-Z, typhoid, yellow fever, and occasionally have to take malaria medication, which is almost as bad as actually having malaria. My biggest worry is getting dengue fever, which is common in SE Asia. The only protection against that is lots of bug spray.

Not sure how I missed this thread back in the day, but...

I had Scarlett Fever as a child. I sort of remember it. Also had chicken pox when I was about 7, which means I got shingles a few years ago. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

As for immunizations, I had the standard lot back in the 60s. Those are good for like 10 years or so, so if you haven't had a booster since the Nixon Administration, they are no good anymore. Because I travel a lot internationally, to places where some of these diseases are still prevalent, I have to get routine boosters for all sorts of things; tetanus at whatever interval they recommend, diphtheria, measles, mumps, rubella, polio, hepatitis A-Z, typhoid, yellow fever, and occasionally have to take malaria medication, which is almost as bad as actually having malaria. My biggest worry is getting dengue fever, which is common in SE Asia. The only protection against that is lots of bug spray.
I had every childhood disease including a mild dose of polio (but escaped the killer diptheria) known to man. I figure it is the base for my good health and good immune system. "That which does not kill......"

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points