Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Knox question

Fedora

Vendor
I am getting fairly well schooled regarding vintage Stetsons, but how about the Knox? Where did the "Superfine" fall? Upper or lower priced originally? I am looking at one and need some education. Thanks. Fedora

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Knox Superfine

I just happen to have one Knox...and I couldn't remember what it was. Opened the box, and it says "SUPERFINE"...sold at a store "Hastings" in Califorrnia.

The hat has a grey to PURPLE tinge to it..with a light purple or lavender liner. The liner is marked "Knox Superfine" with the crest in the middle and art work around. It has a "plastic protector" at the top, and a brown thin smooth sweatband.
The ribbon is 1 5/8 inch and is also kind of lavender/gray. Brim is solid 2 3/4, with a bound edge. The edge is neat: it is thin on top and thicker on the bottom (underside). Hence, there is a row of stitches around the brim on the top just inside the edge of the ribbon. Crown height is solid 4 1/2 at the bottom of the front "pinch".

OK, now about quality. It seems to be a very tight felt, dense and smooth. It feels "stiffer" than the Optimo's lightweight, but the felt is thinner.

Oh, the inside reorder tag reads "$12.50 501 7 1/4 SI 6131. There also is a wax barrier between the felt and the inner sweatband.

I rate this hat as having finer felt than my vingage Stetson Whippet, DE LUXE, or Royal.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Fedora, the "Superfine" is the top of the midrange hats they produced. Geeze, does that make sense? The better hats were almost always marked with the dollar amount...Knox 20...Knox 30 ect. They are excellent felts, just not top of the line. If it's reasonable, go for it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner