Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Lane Bryant

Rosie

One Too Many
Here are some images from some vintage Lane Bryant catalogs. This is fall/winter 53-54. I have a fall/winter from 34 coming and a spring/summer from 46. I'll post more as the week goes on. Here's a few to get started:

DCP_3037.jpg

DCP_3038.jpg

DCP_3040.jpg

DCP_3041.jpg

DCP_3043.jpg

DCP_3044.jpg

I LOVE the shoes!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
OMG! Those pages are just fantastic Rosie! I LOVE the navy dress on the second page with stripe accents. That's the sort of dress I would fight someone for!!!
Don't you just wish you could still order from it?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Rosie, thanks so much for posting these pages!!

I order from Lane Bryant and Roman's myself. . It is so great to see that plus size women in the Golden Era could be so fashionable! Although none of the models on these pages looks to be a plus size. Do you know what size was considered a "plus" size in the golden era? I would be curious to know...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Also have to remember, that even today LB uses their smallest size available as their 'model' size.

You do not see size 24 ladies in their ads today either, you see the size 14 model.

Which tends to make them not 'look as plus sized' as the clothes sizing.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RetroMom said:

I order from Lane Bryant and Roman's myself. . It is so great to see that plus size women in the Golden Era could be so fashionable! Although none of the models on these pages looks to be a plus size. Do you know what size was considered a "plus" size in the golden era? I would be curious to know...

I believe a modern size 10 and up were considered plus. I know lol

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm not sure what size was considered plus back then. My grandmother and her twin were big tall women, about my size and my mom says LB and Roamans were the kings of plus size fashion. I know that the LB in Brooklyn not too far from me has been there for about 85 years.

I SO wish I could order from them still. I want the shoes!!!!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
LB was one of the few places in the vintage era that offered a good selection of footwear for those of us with plus-size feet -- makes me wish they'd turn up a warehouse full of old-stock shoes like those!

As far as how sizing worked in the vintage era goes, I'm looking at a 1948 Sears catalog that breaks it down this way --

Juniors -- 9 to 17 (Bust sizes 30 to 36 1/2, waist 23 to 29, hips 33 to 39)
Misses -- 10 to 20 (B 34 to 41, W 24 to 32, H 34 to 41)
Women's -- 34 to 44 (B 34 to 44, W 32 to 40, H 40 1/2 to 48 1/2)
Larger Women's -- 46 to 52 (B 46 to 52, W 42 to 48, H 49 1/2 to 55)
Shorter Women's -- 16 1/2 to 24 1/2 (B 37 to 45, W 31 to 39, H 40 to 47)

So basically, the latter two categories would be the vintage equivalent of Plus and Plus-Petite sizes. The Women's category would be considered Plus by today's standards as well, but in the vintage era it was more of an age 30+ thing, judging from the styles offered.

Rosie

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
LB was one of the few places in the vintage era that offered a good selection of footwear for those of us with plus-size feet -- makes me wish they'd turn up a warehouse full of old-stock shoes like those!

As far as how sizing worked in the vintage era goes, I'm looking at a 1948 Sears catalog that breaks it down this way --

Juniors -- 9 to 17 (Bust sizes 30 to 36 1/2, waist 23 to 29, hips 33 to 39)
Misses -- 10 to 20 (B 34 to 41, W 24 to 32, H 34 to 41)
Women's -- 34 to 44 (B 34 to 44, W 32 to 40, H 40 1/2 to 48 1/2)
Larger Women's -- 46 to 52 (B 46 to 52, W 42 to 48, H 49 1/2 to 55)
Shorter Women's -- 16 1/2 to 24 1/2 (B 37 to 45, W 31 to 39, H 40 to 47)

So basically, the latter two categories would be the vintage equivalent of Plus and Plus-Petite sizes. The Women's category would be considered Plus by today's standards as well, but in the vintage era it was more of an age 30+ thing, judging from the styles offered.

Thanks for that Lizzie.

I actually called the LB in Brooklyn earlier this year since they are the flagship store asking about old stock items. (I know, but I had to try, right? ;) ) They are housed in a five story building, two floors being actual store and the remaining floors being tiny offices and BIG storage rooms. But, they said they didn't have anything older than five years old on hand. :( The manager, who was very nice to me said older items are sold to second then third party stores and outlets and some things were even destroyed if it didn't sell.

On another note. I have an auntie in Philadelphia (another big woman like me) who told me I'm welcome in her closet anytime I want to come down. She has some items of her mom's, who was quite the fashionable lady so I can go through her things. My mom still says over and over how she wishes she and her sisters hadn't gotten rid of her mom's clothes knowing how I would have loved them so.

maisie

Practically Family
Rosie said:
DCP_3044.jpg

I LOVE the shoes!

I love all those shoes, especially the bottom left navy and red ones, they even have a matching handbag!:eek: And the one's above those, i have in black they are SO comfy!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RetroMom said:

All of those pictures are doctored, as in the photos were taken or real ladies, then 'retouched' to pop out the clothing patterns, colors, cuts and to cinch waists. Also the printing process gives the pages that 'photo painted' look that I think is cool.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points