Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Lawrence FQHH Perfecto-style jacket

Gamma68

One Too Many
This one arrived today. Firmly in the 1950s, very clean and the leather appears exceptional. It will most definitely benefit from conditioning, as it's super stiff. It has an interesting collar reminiscent of my Lawrence half-belt. The epaulette studs are a nice feature.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

What's completely disappointing is the belt, which I'm not even sure is leather. It feels like cardboard--like one of those cheap junk belts that cracks after three wears. The buckle rivets popped out and the buckle is entirely missing. I'm tempted off the bat to have someone make a new horsehide belt for it with a cool period buckle.

9.jpg 10.jpg

dannyk

One Too Many
You’re absolutely right. That jacket is an awesome fit, for being 60+ years old it’s in amazing condition. The belt just brings it crashing down. Get yourself a nice belt and that thing is smashing! Nice find.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Now I’m wondering if the belt is original. Why would a manufacturer skimp on the belt while the rest of the jacket is horsehide? The belt loops are horsehide. And is it unusual to have a belt in front and a half belt at a different height in the rear?

dannyk

One Too Many
Not familiar with this brand So really couldn’t say. Other than it definitely looks odd and very unlike the rest of the jacket. In any case I’m sure Johnson or LW would make a killer belt for it.

You lucky ba***rd!!! I’ve been looking for one of these for the better part of 12 years. That is a phenomenal fit and I dare say the very best of your m/c jacket collection. I am seriously jealous. Now, back to hating maroon 5.

Gamma68

One Too Many
You lucky ba***rd!!! I’ve been looking for one of these for the better part of 12 years. That is a phenomenal fit and I dare say the very best of your m/c jacket collection. I am seriously jealous. Now, back to hating maroon 5.

Thanks, Ton. Your post made me chuckle. You’ve got loads of cool jackets! Maybe some day I’ll catch up.

That looks great on you. Superb jacket that was most definitely in my watch list. Glad you snagged it.

dannyk

One Too Many
Thanks, Ton. Your post made me chuckle. You’ve got loads of cool jackets! Maybe some day I’ll catch up.
I’m in a room of 10 people of varying ages, races and backgrounds....all agreed Maroon 5......all I can say is uggghhhh

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The jacket is superb. Looks to be excellent leather other than the belt. The fit is perfect. The cardboard feel is dried up leather. The belt is crisp. Belts do get crisp. The way it is cut in the back makes the jacket a proper belt will just finish the job.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Jacket looks awesome and fits you very well - not easy with a vintage piece like that. I would strongly reccommned contacing Alan at Jonhson Leathers and see what they could come up with for you. You may need to send it to them in order to get one with a proper fitment.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
This one arrived today. Firmly in the 1950s, very clean and the leather appears exceptional. It will most definitely benefit from conditioning, as it's super stiff. It has an interesting collar reminiscent of my Lawrence half-belt. The epaulette studs are a nice feature.

View attachment 154956 View attachment 154957 View attachment 154958 View attachment 154959 View attachment 154960 View attachment 154961 View attachment 154962 View attachment 154963

What's completely disappointing is the belt, which I'm not even sure is leather. It feels like cardboard--like one of those cheap junk belts that cracks after three wears. The buckle rivets popped out and the buckle is entirely missing. I'm tempted off the bat to have someone make a new horsehide belt for it with a cool period buckle.

View attachment 154964 View attachment 154965

That belt looks very similar to this new belt i got recently:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272288427431

It was recommended by @Mysteryo as being very similar to an Original Buco belt.

I think your belt is original, since it is stitched in at the sides it should be easy to tell if it had been changed.
Personally i would try save it, give it a good coating of your favourite leather care product and see if you can soften it up.
It should be pretty easy to replace the snap buttons and find a replacement buckle.

Either way, great looking jacket! How many Perfecto styles jackets do you have now?

Mysteryo

One Too Many
It seems too big on you. You should consider selling it to me ;-)
('jocking of course, you look great, I'm jealous!)

Last edited:

Gamma68

One Too Many
That belt looks very similar to this new belt i got recently:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272288427431

It was recommended by @Mysteryo as being very similar to an Original Buco belt.

I think your belt is original, since it is stitched in at the sides it should be easy to tell if it had been changed.
Personally i would try save it, give it a good coating of your favourite leather care product and see if you can soften it up.
It should be pretty easy to replace the snap buttons and find a replacement buckle.

Either way, great looking jacket! How many Perfecto styles jackets do you have now?

I don't see any sign of restitching where the belt meets the side panels, so this belt must be original. I'm thrown off a little by the cardboard stiffness of the belt, which makes it seem like something other than horsehide. Also, I haven't seen a rear half-belt with an actual belt at the front.

There are very few examples of Lawrence jackets out there for comparison. But I found another said to be a Lawrence because of the emerald green lining (plain back) that seems to have the same belt.

s-l1600.jpg

Here's the belt on mine. I'll apply some Pecards and see what happens. Does it look like it could be horsehide?
Maybe replacement snaps and a matching buckle are all it needs.

IMG_4113.jpg
IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_4115.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
Also, the person who sold the jacket to me says that Lawrence made jackets for Atlas and Harley-Davidson.

The seller might mean All-State and not Atlas, which I haven't heard of.

I don't know if this is true but the large coin pocket is reminiscent of the HD Cycle Champ.

The A.C. Lawrence Leather Company was based in Peabody, Mass. and was once one of the largest leather companies in the world. The company existed nearly 100 years, from 1897-1991. So they must have made many more jackets for other brands since the Lawrence tag is so rare.

More info here: https://virginiadaffron.com/feature...-c-lawrence-americas-largest-leather-company/

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't see any sign of restitching where the belt meets the side panels, so this belt must be original. I'm thrown off a little by the cardboard stiffness of the belt, which makes it seem like something other than horsehide. Also, I haven't seen a rear half-belt with an actual belt at the front.

There are very few examples of Lawrence jackets out there for comparison. But I found another said to be a Lawrence because of the emerald green lining (plain back) that seems to have the same belt.

s-l1600.jpg

Here's the belt on mine. I'll apply some Pecards and see what happens. Does it look like it could be horsehide?
Maybe replacement snaps and a matching buckle are all it needs.

View attachment 155018 View attachment 155019 View attachment 155020

No idea what leather it is made from, but it doesn't look in too bad condition!
I would Pecard the crap out of it, change the snaps and find yourself a nice buckle, it looks in good enough condition to be revived by Pecard.
Let us know how it goes.

Also i really like the half belt back with half belt front, its different in a cool way.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
No idea what leather it is made from, but it doesn't look in too bad condition!
I would Pecard the crap out of it, change the snaps and find yourself a nice buckle, it looks in good enough condition to be revived by Pecard.
Let us know how it goes.

Also i really like the half belt back with half belt front, its different in a cool way.
You're damn right!

There were some older Herc’s with that same back config/false half belt. IMHO it is THE coolest back config ever on an m/c jacket. Now gamma you need to have Alan build you a proper snap on mouton collar!

Gamma68

One Too Many
There were some older Herc’s with that same back config/false half belt. IMHO it is THE coolest back config ever on an m/c jacket. Now gamma you need to have Alan build you a proper snap on mouton collar!

Hey, this is a great idea! I does have the snaps for a collar.

Any ideas on a source for a buckle, other than Johnson Leathers? It's plain enough, but just don't know where to look. On eBay, vintage 1950s belt buckle brings up everything but what I need.

Not only is the leather very dry, so is the stitching. I was peeking inside the coin pocket, trying to see if there's a size tag, when * pop pop * a couple stitches at the corner of the pocket broke. Arrgghh! Angry with myself now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto