Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage mens Bathing Suits and Swim Trunks

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I know, in the middle of winter when you are not living in the southern hemisphere, why should we be talking about our vintage beach wear?
Well, frankly because I have just bought in the sales a pair of Burt Lancaster type vintage swim shorts. Guess only strange folk like me are thinking about beach wear in the middle of a cold European winter!! ha ha! I am "Irish" after all, so maybe that explains it!! LoL..!
Anyway, if I can find the time in between masses of school work here, I'll get a pic, if you can stand my chicken white legs..Ha Ha!
So...what beach wear (vintage of course) have you got to sport when the sun comes out ot play...?

Sorry guys if I have been quiet on the FL scene lately, but work has made Jack here a dull boy, as it's been all hands on deck this term! but to all my friends, plus those nearest and dearest, I will be putting pen to paper! just bear with me please, thanks! :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Paddy, those are definitely vintagey looking. You are braver than I! Call me a shy wimp, but won't see me sporting a bathing suit in pics around the net.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mmmm, you got me thinking there Holly.

Maybe it's not appropriate to have me sporting my 'vintage' swimwear on the net, so I have deleted it. Last thing I want is for any folks out there to be left traumatised!! hee hee. Anyway, foolish of me to think that I could ever 'stand in' for Burt Lancaster as the surf crashed in over him and Deborah Kerr! LoL. But wishful thinking!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Burt Lancaster vintage swimwear on the beach look...

OK, So this is a wee bit crazy, considering there is snow outside, brrrrrrrrr!! lol. Still I'll plead the 5th Amendment, insanity and being Irish, so that should have me covered nicely. Anyway, just thought that some nice pics of me surfing off the beautiful coast of County Donegal (Ireland) would warm you up on a cold winter's day and make you think of the summer (hey, just around the corner guys!).

So, back on track here with the vintage swimwear!! (btw, I'm the guy without the beard. Brian, my pal, looks rather like a latter day pirate at times!).

Donegalsurf011.jpg

NOW LET'S GET THIS A BIT MORE VINTAGE LOOKING...

blackandwhitesurf.jpg

And now for the real thing. Mmmm, think I drew the short straw getting Brian for the beach scene, rather than Miss Kerr!! just my luck!!!!:)
021022.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I once had a pair of UDT shorts, the type still worn by Marine Recon, and wore them only once. My girlfriend at the time called them men's hotpants and told me to never wear them again. It wasn't that hard to convince me, either!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
IndianaGuybrush said:
Those look like the shorts worn by deputy Jim Dangle on Reno 911

Pretty much! In my defense, I never left the apartment. Hey, I was artillery! They never issued us those things! I had no idea! I swear!

Somebody, somewhere thought they were a good idea, though, and as far as I know they're still issued at BUDS.

Now if I can just find that picture she took while I was wearing them....

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
You bring up something interesting, Paddy

I see all sorts of books and repros of women's swimwear but very little of men's. I was hoping to make a 1930s style belted swim suit.
Where does one find a pattern?

The Wolf

JD Boswell

New in Town
The Burt Lancaster swim trunks look like Navy issue WW2 swim trunks. They are very form fitting and made of WOOL.!:eek:

Mmmm..... nothing better then wet wool with sand in them to grind you up.

Navy UDT shorts only work if you have the build of an Navy UDT.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
The only website I have found with vintage mens swim trunks is on ballyhoovintage.com
mybabyjo.com has new vintage style swimsuits for women, but they are mostly 50's looking.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
How about for men?

I have found all sorts of pictures and books of women's swimsuits from the golden era but it is hard to find much about men's bathing suits.
I would like to have a vintage-style belted swim trunks.
Heck, I even like the tank top type of addition.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
There are a lot of vintage 'looking' bathing suits out there...I went shopping last week and at Target found a really cute one...their out there....just have to look past all those 'barely there' ones ;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I just bought a great retro swimsuit from http://www.revampvintage.com/bathingsuit.html. It was a little pricey, but I wanted something in true 1940s style (and I wouldn't dream of wearing one of my vintage swimsuits in the pool.)
This is the one I bought:
http://www.revampvintage.com/lexy.html

I have one of Esther Williams reproduction swimsuits, too. I like it as well, though the fabric is more modern. It still has the right look, though!

Revamp might be able to make something for the guys too--would be worth inquiring about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto