Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Motor Clothes

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My good friend, Barnstormers clubmate, and managing editor Dan Beaudry recently wrote a piece for the Hemmings Daily on vintage motor clothes (for both automobilists and motorcyclists). I thought it might be of some interest to those here.

Jennifer-Thompson-Sheets-970x729.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Nice photos. I especially like the boots in the first photo.

Dan had those made by Mattimore Boots in Laramie, Wyoming. He was a bit intimidated by them at first, but now he loves them.

@101 Pathfinder I believe the Barnstormers did show up on YouTube a bit, though alas I was called home early Saturday morning to deal with a sick kiddo and missed all the racing this year, so you probably only saw my clubmates.

Edward

Bartender
Dan had those made by Mattimore Boots in Laramie, Wyoming. He was a bit intimidated by them at first, but now he loves them.

Thanks, those are gorgeous - if everv the pound recovers against the dollar, I'll be looking a pair of those.

(BTW, what's the hostility with the "shark nose toes" on the jackboots? I've googled but couldn't find anything. Is that just a preference, or were they an SS thing? I can totally understand any retailer not wanting to be caught up in selling stuff to the True Believers....).

fireman

One of the Regulars
I'd never heard that name ("shark nose toes") before but it would appear that might be the case!
Basically yes, a characteristic of German WW2 boots is the "shark nose" toe. Apparently it is very important to German reenactors...."shrug". As a history buff, I have lurked on reenactor forums and email lists in the past. The guys who do German are the most obsessed with small details.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Now I'm curious. What are shark nose toes? The Germany Army was still wearing so-called jackboots when I was there in the 1960s but I didn't notice anything peculiar about the.

By the way, if you like pointy-toes cowboy or Western boots, you can also buy pointy-toed overshoes to match. Don't remember where right now but they are available.

Edward

Bartender
Now I'm curious. What are shark nose toes? The Germany Army was still wearing so-called jackboots when I was there in the 1960s but I didn't notice anything peculiar about the.

By the way, if you like pointy-toes cowboy or Western boots, you can also buy pointy-toed overshoes to match. Don't remember where right now but they are available.

The one big change in the boots post-war was that they added a buckle at the top - popularly known as a "democracy buckle", for obvious reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ