Vintage neon signs

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Blackthorn, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

World's largest.

139866578_10208742799363388_6077714593834626054_o.jpg

Rob

2. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

Smorgasbord.
    tumblr_8175d412d7bc05a8129354d167ea991f_738a1354_500.jpg
    Rob

Bushman, Ross Young, dh66 and 9 others like this.
  3. Apologies if this is a repeat ... Memphis, TN.

upload_2021-8-6_12-56-13.png

Bushman, Mean Eyed Matt, dh66 and 8 others like this.
  4. I wonder what that Husky thinks of the food.

5. dh66

dh66

There was a rotosphere atop a bowling alley in my neighborhood that had been there since the early 60s. Sadly it fell to make way for a walmart. I don't know what happened to the sign, but I hope it didn't end up at the scrap yard. Screenshot_20210807-161037.jpg Screenshot_20210807-161119.jpg
    I found these pics on the internet. They look like they were taken after the place had shut down. My friends and I polished off many a pitcher of cheap draft there when we were in our 20s.

6. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Any vintage neon aficionados in greater Denver may wish to visit the Englewood Library at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow, August 30, or the Filling Station (a tavern on South Acoma Street) at 6:30 p.m. for presentations on efforts to preserve the groovy old neon signage around here.

Blare and Blackthorn like this.
  7. ... and then by the 1970s we had this:

Plastics.jpg

^^^^^ Lexington, Missouri.

8. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^^
    I bet those backlit plastic beer signs are selling for good money now.

Zombie_61 and Blare like this.
  9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

In my town it was always rare to see those without at least one hole in them from a rock. Kids today.

10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

It ain’t neon, but I admit to liking the look of backlit plastic signs. I once lived near a large ’60s(?) built retail center — several acres of parking and maybe half a dozen separate structures each with three or four or five stores. I was quite taken with it visually, especially right at dusk. Lotsa glowing colors.

Whaddya s’pose people not yet born will, some several decades from now, gaze upon images of such scenes and get all misty-eyed?

Blare and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I stole this picture, couldn’t tell you where it is.

512CDE49-6E4E-4BBE-B295-F6CAAA2EE0DC.jpeg

12. Birchwood, Wisconsin. Apparently, the town of Birchwood is known as "the Bluegill capital of Wisconsin". Great sign!

dh66, Blackthorn, Blare and 1 other person like this.
  13. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Well, now I know that!

I caught many a bluegill fishing with my maternal grandfather on Lake Mendota in Madison, Wisconsin when I was a youngster. But I didn’t catch near as many as he did.

We fished with cane poles from an aluminum rowboat, probably no more than a hundred feet from shore. Grandpa fished two poles at a time. When the fish were biting, he’d be pulling in a fish with one pole about the time he took a fish off the other and put another worm on the hook. Seriously, we’d catch 40 or more fish (of which he caught the overwhelming majority) in less than an hour. Last I talked with him about it (he went to the big fishing derby in the sky in ’89), he said the fishing there “ain’t worth a damn anymore.”

14. Restaurant in Tulsa since 1953.

El_Rancho_Grande_Tulsa_1.jpg

El_Rancho_Grande_Tulsa_2.jpg