Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage NYC Subway train pics

pgoat

One Too Many
The MTA usually run a train of vintage subway cars dating from the late 1930s to the 1950s here, every Sunday in December (from Thanksgiving to New Years). These cars are on display at the Transit Museum in Brooklyn, and these days in December are the only opportunities to actually ride on them. This year we've been eagerly awaiting this event but it looks like they're not doing it! Boo-hoo...

I may have posted some of our pics from 2007 on the FL, but here is an album of pics from Dec. 2008 that I threw up on facebook recently, if anyone would like to view...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=36864&id=1051973886&l=2fbd55965a

fwiw I'm wearing an early 60s Knox Premier stingy brim. Keep an eye out for photo #128 - the woman in the window of the green 1930s train car wearing a vintage hat - that's one of my favorite shots of the day.

Enjoy!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
One of those trains was sitting atthe platform at the Gun Hill station of the IRT a few weeks ago, and I got to sneak in and out of it a few times. The station is elevated, on the top of a hill, so it's WAY up in the air. It was pretty cool.
The woven cushioned seats, the deep olive paint, the white enameled safety rods and hanging straps. Took me back to my first subway rides as a little dude, back in the early 50's.

pgoat

One Too Many
just fyi, I am waiting to hear back from a friend who works for the MTA. Will post here if/when I get the final word....

clubwitsend

Practically Family
oooh! I missed it last year....I'd love to go this time!! And I'm not too far from Queens Plaza...I'm assuming this is a V train, then??? Sort of?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
One of those trains was sitting atthe platform at the Gun Hill station of the IRT a few weeks ago, and I got to sneak in and out of it a few times. The station is elevated, on the top of a hill, so it's WAY up in the air. It was pretty cool.
The woven cushioned seats, the deep olive paint, the white enameled safety rods and hanging straps. Took me back to my first subway rides as a little dude, back in the early 50's.

That reminds me of the 7 train around Shea (oops, sorry, 'Citifield'). Theres a section that curves and is not flat-level that looks like its about a mile up in the air. Scares the whee outta me when I see it or Im on it and aware where I am.

pgoat

One Too Many
That reminds me of the 7 train around Shea (oops, sorry, 'Citifield'). Theres a section that curves and is not flat-level that looks like its about a mile up in the air. Scares the whee outta me when I see it or Im on it and aware where I am.

There's a bad spot like that on the 7 near Queensboro Plaza (just east, as you go over the Sunnyside Train Yards). The train almost always pauses there, which makes things interesting for those of us who don't like heights!

Having said that, I can only imagine what it must have been like to zoom around the Suicide curve of the old 9th Ave. el!

Last edited:

pgoat

One Too Many
For those who are interested, I just got the word from a friend on the inside - The Vintage train will run this year,

Sundays Nov 28 thru Dec 26, 10 AM to 5 PM, Queens Plaza to 2 Ave. Same schedule, etc as last year.

Please Note, that there is no longer a "V" train - the 6th Ave. local (orange) line is now the "M" train. Not that the old train cars are labeled "M" (actually I believe they have an "S" for "Special"), but just in case anyone comes looking for it and wants to know what line to ask for and where to find the stops on the map. The last stop is actually an "F" station.

This is always a lot of fun to ride, so come on out if you can.

and Bring a camera and your best duds. :)

Last edited:

pgoat

One Too Many
oooh! I missed it last year....I'd love to go this time!! And I'm not too far from Queens Plaza...I'm assuming this is a V train, then??? Sort of?

Pls see above post - it's the current M train line from Quns Plz, with the last stop at 2nd Ave.; then it just turns round and goes back to Queens and turns around again at Quns Plz.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Great news, pgoat. Thanks for the info.

If you get news of a specific schedule for the trains, let us know, huh?

Last edited:

pgoat

One Too Many
Usually trains come every ten minutes or so, but because this train turns around at Queens Plaza, it takes a bit of waiting for it to get going in the other direction (maybe 20 mins or so). They also tend to let it sit in the station at either end for picture taking ops. But once the train rolls it basically moves at the same pace as a regular M train and stops at each station with only 2 mins. or so intervals.

For those unfamiliar or coming from out of town, Queens Plaza is only one-two stops into Queens from Manhattan, very very easy to get to. You can take an E (2nd stop from Lexington Avenue) or R train (1st stop after Lexington) there from Manhattan. At the other end, the 2nd Ave. stop leaves you in the Lower East Side, plenty to see and do in the area.

I live in Queens so we'll typically ride it in to 2nd Ave. in Manhattan, shop for gifts and have a bite and then ride it back. If you love old trains, the trip is a must. The old ads and subway signs and maps alone are worth the trip.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Seems a bunch of people are going to do this on Dec 12th. They're gonna have like a Ragtime band or something, a la 1912. Whatever. I don't want to miss it this year.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The New Yorker calls this "Department of Further Clarification." Seems like there's a 1912 Tea Party on the Nostalgia Train on Sunday, Dec. 12th, but there will be SWING DANCING with BANDS on Dec. 19th.
http://www.yehoodi.com/comment/172839/nyc-vintage-train-2010-dec-19/
"We will gather on the Queens-bound platform of the 2nd Ave. V train between noon-1 p.m. The train departs at 1:01 p.m."
They're apparently working on 5 different bands on different platforms around the city. Sounds like a real extravaganza!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk