Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE NYPD Patrolman's Billy Clubs/ Nightsticks/Sap. Patrol-used in Queens, Brooklyn, 1960s- 1970s

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Former NYPD Patrolman's Vintage Billy Clubs/ Nightsticks/Sap

These were all used on street patrol in New York City during the 1960s through the 1980s... and so they have the usual patina associated with operational equipment!

These are wonderful items of NYC history; all were used on patrol in Brooklyn and Queens.

1) Oak billy club. (Light wood.) Likely dating from the late 1950s to early 1960s; this was not new when it was issued. Comes complete with original leather strap. 16" long. Asking just $35, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

2) Mahogany (?) billy club. (dark wood.) Dating from the 1950s (it was inherited from another officer who held the Queens beat before the owner prior to me), and heavy and sturdy, this comes complete with its original leather strap that is affixed to a metal holder sunk deep into the end of the club. A very serious--and now very beautiful--piece of kit. c. 14 1/2" including the metal holder. Just $45, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

3) Vintage leather sap/blackjack. "Towson Quality" leather saps were the industry standard in the 1960s... Thick, sturdy cowhide with a heavy metal "plug" at the business end. This is in Very Good condition and comes complete with original leather handle--still perfectly functional. This was not an NYPD issue weapon, but instead was privately purchased and kept ready to hand in a trouser pocket. Used on patrol in Queens in the 1960s and 1970s. c. 8 1/8" long, and in Very Good condition. Asking just $35, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

Please note: The blackjack is still available, but obviously I can only ship it to somewhere where it's legal to be shipped to--and this might preclude certain US states as well as certain countries. I'll check to see if it was be legally mailed on inquiry! :)

Last edited:

These were all used on street patrol in New York City during the 1960s through the 1980s... and so they have the usual patina associated with operational equipment!

These are wonderful items of NYC history; all were used on patrol in Brooklyn and Queens.

1) Oak billy club. (Light wood.) Likely dating from the late 1950s to early 1960s; this was not new when it was issued. Comes complete with original leather strap. 16" long. Asking just $35, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

2) Mahogany (?) billy club. (dark wood.) Dating from the 1950s (it was inherited from another officer who held the Queens beat before the owner prior to me), and heavy and sturdy, this comes complete with its original leather strap that is affixed to a metal holder sunk deep into the end of the club. A very serious--and now very beautiful--piece of kit. c. 14 1/2" including the metal holder. Just $45, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

3) Vintage leather sap/blackjack. "Towson Quality" leather saps were the industry standard in the 1960s... Thick, sturdy cowhide with a heavy metal "plug" at the business end. This is in Very Good condition and comes complete with original leather handle--still perfectly functional. This was not an NYPD issue weapon, but instead was privately purchased and kept ready to hand in a trouser pocket. Used on patrol in Queens in the 1960s and 1970s. c. 8 1/8" long, and in Very Good condition. Asking just $35, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

Please note: These items are only available for shipment within the US, and are sold as historical artifacts only.

Can’t speak about other places, but in California the sale, possession, and importation (without license) of the sap/billy/truncheon/etc. is a felony. There’s not even a law enforcement exemption outside of what a Department allows under their auspices. Just be careful, I’d hate to see you get in trouble just trying to share some historical items. Oh, the disclaimer at the end of your listing has no bearing on their legality (speaking for California only).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab

Please note: These items are only available for shipment within the US, and are sold as historical artifacts only.

Is the US shipping only for legal reasons? I collect mid-century knives, USMC knives, original Randall's and such and would love to add these wooden clubs to my collection... (the leather one unfortunately is illegal in Germany because it counts as flexible impact weapon)

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Is the US shipping only for legal reasons? I collect mid-century knives, USMC knives, original Randall's and such and would love to add these wooden clubs to my collection... (the leather one unfortunately is illegal in Germany because it counts as flexible impact weapon)

Just me being cautious! I assumed that since these are weapons they might well be illegal in other countries and so couldn't be mailed. But since the billyclubs aren't illegal in Germany I'd be very happy to send them to you, especially since adding them to a collection would be ideal!

Can’t speak about other places, but in California the sale, possession, and importation (without license) of the sap/billy/truncheon/etc. is a felony. There’s not even a law enforcement exemption outside of what a Department allows under their auspices. Just be careful, I’d hate to see you get in trouble just trying to share some historical items. Oh, the disclaimer at the end of your listing has no bearing on their legality (speaking for California only).

Hell, kangaroo leather is illegal in CA.

Last edited:

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, deadlyhandsome! That's VERY helpful--I'll make sure to check that whoever would like them is in a state that allows their importation. It didn't occur to me that states within the US would have restrictions on these, so you might have saved me a lot of trouble!

NJ doesn't allow slingshots, so states have *weird* laws! :) (I found this out when I tried to order one from that purveyor of violence, LL Bean, for my daughter to fire small stones at cans!)

I’m not trying to be contentious but it strikes me as odd that these collectibles are illegal in some States where kids can openly purchase baseball bats?

In California, if you possess a baseball bat and say you use it or keep it for protection it can be a felony! No joke. Possession of a loaded and concealed firearm without a permit is most likely a couple misdemeanors, but possession of a dirk, dagger, blowgun, cane sword, sap, billy club, metal knuckles, etc. is a felony. No one said the law makes sense, and California is a world of its own.

It strikes me as odd too.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
In California, if you possess a baseball bat and say you use it or keep it for protection it can be a felony! No joke. Possession of a loaded and concealed firearm without a permit is most likely a couple misdemeanors, but possession of a dirk, dagger, blowgun, cane sword, sap, billy club, metal knuckles, etc. is a felony. No one said the law makes sense, and California is a world of its own.

It strikes me as odd too.

I read somewhere that if California were a country it would be the world's third or fourth economic power.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21