Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage objects that traveled!

davidraphael

Practically Family
I like it when I stumble across an object that is either far away from home or far from where it started life...

For example, below is a old postcard that I found in a second hand shop in a small village in the Bavarian Alps!

Does anyone have any objects like this that have perhaps traveled even more widely than most of us have?

bowlc.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:
That's a lovely postcard, David. It looks like it's in almost mint condition. Even though the back of the card attributes it to the Western Publishing & Novelty Co. of Los Angeles. It's actually a linen Curt Teich postcard from 1934. And if I know L.A. as well as I think I do, West 29th Street is near the University of Southern California (USC) campus and not too far from where my grandparents lived.

Such items really aren't that uncommon, at least here in the US (and probably more so these days throughout the rest of the world thanks to eBay). I suspect many were brought back by American servicemen over the years. In my own specialty I've come across tons of books that were published in England or other countries and were never meant for distribution or publication in the United States. One of them in my collection is a 1928 edition of the Boys Own Hobby Annual which I picked up at an antique mall a few years ago.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Yes, the postcard is indeed in mint condition. As you say, these kinds of things are normally quite common (well, not in Bavarian villages perhaps!), but it was the condition that really caught my eye. It's very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy