Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage pics of african americans

ECHEVALIER

New in Town
this trend is to show the fashion and grooming of african americans and afro latinos in the 19th and 20th centurys.from harlem to havanah.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I'll start out with a great photo of this Harlem flapper. She looks sharp!

african-american-flapper-218x300.jpg

And of course there was Billie Holiday.

billie-holliday-in-the-days-fashion-and-her-signature-style-234x300.jpg

And Bessie Smith

smith-789244.jpg

And some not so famous people having a great time!

BE041346.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shorpy dot com

African American Photographs Assembled for the 1900 Paris Exposition By W.E.B. DuBois

You will not BELIEVE the breadth & depth of the Library of Congress' American Memory collection! (2nd link) Here are some of my favorites:

negrowoman.jpg

A Negro Woman

AAgirl.jpg

African American Girl

aalittlegirl.jpg

African American Girl

aalady.jpg

African American Lady

AAman.jpg

An African American Gentleman

I suspect most, if not all, of the above pictured folks are bi or tri-racial ... but Hypodescent (one drop) was the law of the land, eh?
Regards,

RB

PS- another great thing is that you can download uncompressed TIFS from the LOC (Library of Congress) (12 Megs +)of all these that are just LOVELY! ... fer' FREE!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Please everyone, do yourself a favor a google Teenie Harris' name. From Wikipedia:

"Charles "Teenie" Harris (1908–1998) was an accomplished African-American photographer.

Harris was born in 1908 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, the son of hotel owners in the city's Hill District. Early in the 1930s he purchased his first camera and opened a photography studio. He freelanced for the Washington D.C. news picture magazine, Flash!. From the 1936 to the 1975 Harris chronciled life in the black neighborhoods of the city for the Pittsburgh Courier, one of America's oldest black newspapers. He was nicknamed "One Shot" because he rarely made his subjects sit for retakes. Harris took more than 80,000 images during his career. The body of his work constitutes arguably the largest and most complete photographic documentation of a minority community in the United States.

Unlike his more celebrated African-American contemporaries, such as James Van Der Zee, known for studio portraits, or Gordon Parks, who traveled widely as a photojournalist, Harris was a working-class photographer tethered to a job with a circumscribed beat. His work was rarely seen outside of Pittsburgh, until after his death in 1998.

In addition to his photo essays of daily life in the city, he captured many celebrities who visited Pittsburgh, e.g. Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Billy Eckstine, Lena Horne, Sarah Vaughan, Sam Cooke, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Charlie Parker, Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Eleanor Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, and Dizzy Gillespie.

Harris also photographed legendary Negro League baseball players of the Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords. Harris himself played baseball for the Crawfords when they were known as the Crawford Colored Giants."

Teenie's work is amazing. He was a master of capturing everyday moments and life and making them special. He took thousands of pictures. The Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh currently has an exhibit of his works. This is the third exhibit they've dome of his work and every exhibit has left me speechless. I'll see if I can find some of his pictures and post them.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
First a picture of Teenie himself. Not only was he talented, but he was handsome as well!
1996-90-28.jpg

Mrs Joe Louis & friends:
1002386.jpg

War Bond Drive:
1002191.jpg

Teenie Dancing at the Syria Mosque (an amazing Middle Eastern Deco themed building that the local university tore down to make a parking lot):
1002951.jpg

Spectators at Forbes Field:
1002192.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
BeBopBaby said:
First a picture of Teenie himself. Not only was he talented, but he was handsome as well!
1996-90-28.jpg

Mrs Joe Louis & friends:
1002386.jpg

War Bond Drive:
1002191.jpg

Teenie Dancing at the Syria Mosque (an amazing Middle Eastern Deco themed building that the local university tore down to make a parking lot):
1002951.jpg

Spectators at Forbes Field:
1002192.jpg

Thanks for the tip on Teenie. I agree he is a handsome man. I'll have to check him out. I love the Forbes Field photo. It brings back childhood memories of when I watched Roberto Clemente at Forbes Field.:) Clemente was my favorite baseball player of all time. He was a fantastic fielder/hitter and he did such wonderful humanitarian work off the field. He died way too young.

Doesn't it just make you sick that they tore down the Syria Mosque for a freaking parking lot! Ugh.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
2 Uknown boys in front of a hotel in the Hill District:
1002917.jpg

Singer connie Irvin at the Ritz Club:
1002667.jpg

Friends at a Club:
1002572.jpg

Women standing in front of a fountain at the University of Pittsburgh:
1002375.jpg

The Gay Amigoes Roller Skating Club at the Pittsburgh YMCA:
1002784.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Norma11Alvin7.jpg

My Mother and Uncle, shes 11, hes 7

FernCreekHSage16Dec1957.jpg

My Mother at 16 (1957 HS pic)

pic1.jpg

pic9.jpg

V V Two people seemed to love ;) V V

Grannysayslate70s.jpg

MamaisaHOTmama.jpg

GrannytheGraduate.jpg

And again Granny's HS graduation pic in '38

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
One more:
Granny's HS yearbook picture. Class of '38

2.jpg

Id never seen a profile shot like that at the bottom before. My grandmother is Marie Goodwin, and she is none of what is described :D

LD

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
One more:
Granny's HS yearbook picture. Class of '38

2.jpg

Id never seen a profile shot like that at the bottom before.

LD

That is a curious profile shot. I've never seen one like that in a yearbook. I wonder if the photographer took everyone's photo like that? It's too close to mug shots for my liking.:(

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Last ones :eek: Thanks for humoring me.
UncleAlvinasateen.jpg

My Uncle Alvin

UncleDarrylage14Sept66.jpg

My Uncle Daryl age 14
Granny has all 3 of these (along with the pic of my Mother above) in a tryptic frame.

pic3.jpg

Thats Granddaddy in the house he built. Thats the house I grew up in. That pedestal table on the far right is still there, in that exact position.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
NicknNora said:
That is a curious profile shot. I've never seen one like that in a yearbook. I wonder if the photographer took everyone's photo like that? It's too close to mug shots for my liking.:(

Really? I dont see it that way at all. I think its a beautiful shot. Hes quite handsome. Perhaps he had the option to choose.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk