Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Pipe Humidor, Ever Seen One Like It?

Barz51

New in Town
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

This old pipe humidor was given to me several years ago by an old friend who has since passed on. I believe he served in the navy during WWII but I know he also traveled some in his retirement. The carvings appear to me to be typically Hawaiian and the pig on the top also makes me think it is Hawaiian. I would really like to find if he picked it up while in the navy or on a later vacation.

As you can see there is a carved picture on either side and a pig on the top. There is no makers name or sign that I can find anywhere on the piece. There are marks on the bottom that indicate it was turned on a lathe. It did at one point, before I owned it, have a ring around top to hold the pipe ends up. The majority of the ring was broken off and I only have a little section left.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Cory

101_0665.jpg

101_0668.jpg

101_0671.jpg

101_0672.jpg

101_0667.jpg

Bull Moose

Familiar Face
That is a unique piece. I have a couple pipe tobacco racks with the tobacco humidor in the middle. Your takes the cake as far as uniqueness.

You can copy that small piece of the top ring that is broken and use it as a template to make a new one.

Now you need some pipes to display with your humidor and rack.;)

Barz51

New in Town
Thanks Moose. I'm planing on taking it to a local furniture restoration place and see what they can do for it. I wonder if the wood will be hard to find?
As far as pipes go I have two Dr. Grabows from the 70's-80's but I'm always looking to add to my collection.
Just this afternoon I was browsing E-Bay under a search for "Estate Pipe." I spotted one in a picture and thought "I really like the shape and finish, maybe I'll bid on it." Then I looked at the description, turns out it is a Dunhill Bruyere and it is almost at $200. That is just slightly more than my antique store ajustomatics :D

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I don't think its Hawaiian. It looks like its from the Phillippines. Find out what kind of wood it is. That'll be the clue you need. Either way ... it sure is nifty. :eusa_clap

Barz51

New in Town
I took the humidor to a furniture restoration shop and they believe it is made out of teak or mahogany. They are going to rebuild the ring around the top and match it to the finish on the rest of the piece. I'll post some pictures when I get it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy