Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage PJ's, dressing gowns and more....

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wasn't sure if I should put this under the "girdles and corsets" thread or the "tap pants" thread for it's really not about either. I searched the Powder Room for a thread on this topic, but couldn't find one. I just wasn't sure if this was a big enough topic to start a new thread with.
Well, I have always liked the idea of having pretty and elegant pajamas. I like the idea of having an elegant dressing gown to wear while I do my hair and make-up. Woman used to get dressed up to go to bed. Now, most of us sleep in boxer shorts or sweats. I have seen pictures of woman in the 30's getting ready to go out, or preparing for bed, and they were dressed in the prettiest and softest of fabrics.
Do any of you own dressing robes that you wear? Do you own any vintage night pant sets?
I found a website, silver screen loungerie, that sells such items if anyone is interested. Their selection is small right now. They don't have any tap pants. They do have a few beautiful dressing gowns and elegant night gowns, pegnoir sets, lounging sets and teddies. They are all vintage, not vintage reproductions. It is a really lovely site, so check it out if you are interested in vintage night wear.
http://www.silverscreenloungerie.com/index.asp

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad another girl likes to dress up for bed also! I don't have anything vintage, but, I do have some gowns that look like what ladies would have worn in that era. I have actually found a lot of my night gowns at Target, where you can find a very pretty gown with matching robes most of the time.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I own a number of vintage nightgowns (1930s-50s), two bed jackets (a few years ago I bought a gorgeous, vintage-style embroidered tulle bed jacket from Victoria's Secret), and a quilted brocade robe with Asian accents from the 1940s. I also have a few 1950s babydolls and an Asian style pajama set from the 1940s. I don't always wear the long nightgowns, but I often wear the babydolls (and I don't do the t-shirt and boxer thing, either.) The robe I usually save for winter or for trips. I don't have any dressing gowns (though that is an item I would like to have someday), but I do have a jersey hostess gown that I love to lounge around at home in.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mysterygal said:
I'm glad another girl likes to dress up for bed also! I don't have anything vintage, but, I do have some gowns that look like what ladies would have worn in that era. I have actually found a lot of my night gowns at Target, where you can find a very pretty gown with matching robes most of the time.

I've gotten some from Target too. I also got some cute tap pant sets from them. I've found that, in comparison to the more expensive department stores, they have a much better selection and even better prices.
I have one dressing gown that I really like, but I haven't worn it while doing hair and make-up for the fear that I might get something on it. Kind of defeats the purpose.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a very '30s-ish blue floral-print side-tie Marks & Spencer robe -- a $5 Goodwill find. It's not genuine vintage, but it's an extremely vintagey style. It's very much like the robes worn by the chorus gals in "Mrs. Henderson Presents," although I'm in nowhere near as exciting surroundings when I wear it.

I used to have a lovely 40's vintage silk robe -- red with big white flowers -- but I wore it so much it finally just fell to pieces. I still have the remnants, and someday I'm going to make a pattern and recreate it -- if I can find just the right fabric.

I also used to have a *gorgeous* '30's bias-cut peach-colored nightie -- but, alas, I could eventually no longer squeeze into it. Which is just as well, because flannel's more practical up here anyways...

maisie

Practically Family
It just shows how classy the 30's and 40's were, they even dressed up to go to bed! I think that some of the nighties are just so beautiful, especially the 30's ones, they look more like evening gowns than nightwear!!
I managed to get 2 sets of silk and lace pajamas off ebay one is the underwear pink colour (as i call it!!) and the other a light aqua/bluey colour, they are NOS and i got each pair off ebay for $3.00!!:eek: I just can't wear them though they are too nice!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im a PJs kinda girl. I have about 5 sets of vintage looking PJs, all cotton, pipping :) and some have little flowers embriodered on them. Some are from Sears. That is the best place to get the old timey looking PJs.

LD

decodoll

Practically Family
I have a dressing gown and a hostess gown, which I just happened to have pics of. I don't wear them as often as I'd like though because I'm afraid the cats will damage them. :( I've been intending to make some Asian style pajamas and a cotton dressing gown for ages now...have the patterns just waiting. :rolleyes: I also have some 50's nightgowns that I wear. :)

That's me trying to be all pin-uppy :p
dressinggown.jpg

hostessgown.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks, Jitterbugdoll :)

lol I'm certain she was plotting various ways to destroy it!

No, but really she was a sweetie, she just liked to be in mommy's lap. :)

magneto

Practically Family
Ooh, I love everyone's gorgeous outfits! :eusa_clap I have some light cotton pink plaid 40's PJs (with side-button very high waist) but it's been too darn cold to ever wear them! Still in (boring but tres-classic) department store flannel :(

Rosie

One Too Many
Oh, I love to "dress" for bed. I do it about 40% of the time. I've been eyeing some vintage gowns, robes and peignor sets on the bay but, they ALWAYS go for so much more than I'd like to pay. I have about 10 vintage-y night gowns and three vintage-y robes/dressing gowns. I just bought a 50's Hawiian/tiki type summer dress and as a free gift (yay!) the seller threw in a vintage gown. I'm not sure of the year but I think late '60s or so, but, it's cute and, it was free.

Making a grand dressing gown is of course on my to do list.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Decodoll, those are 2 beautiful pieces.
This is a picture of the one dressing gown that I have. Wish I had a better picture of it, like you I don't wear it because of my cats.
:eusa_clap that gown is beautiful Daisy! I love those colors...and well everything :D
Maisy, that's what I love about the 30's and 40's also, is that they dressed up, for everything! What's kind of amusing though, when looking at what people wore to bed back then...it's what the evening gowns of today look like!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo