Vintage posters and other paper ephemera

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by tonyb, Nov 24, 2021.

1. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

It’s a safe bet that I’m not the only one here with a weakness for old paper advertising and the like that has somehow survived far longer than it was expected to.

I’m generally less concerned with subject matter than artistic merit. And I’m also not hung up on condition. Indeed, I often prefer a poster show signs it was actually used for its intended purpose. Character, I call it. That rougher survivors can usually be had for a small fraction of the price of more pristine examples is icing on the cake.

2. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

A cheaply produced advertising poster. I’ve seen other examples of it with different particulars as to date and location. It’s on very thin paper, so thin that it was a challenge to get it in the frame without tearing it more than it already is.

1FC30F7E-8843-4CDC-B5CB-3047B438B5EF.jpeg

3. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

I remember Hoxie setting up at Haverford College every year. A high school friend actually left with them and became an animal trainer. Thanks for the flashback.

tonyb likes this.
  4. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

About when was that? I’m trying to nail down the year of this one. The day of the week and date narrow it down some. But a quick search into the history of the circus doesn’t provide much clarification.

5. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

71 72 maybe for circus boy. Hoxie was from at least the mid 60's if not early.

6. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    It appears the circus got its start in ’43, and survived on-again, off-again into the ’80s. I get the sense it was a low-budget operation when it had any budget at all.

The age of the circus as we knew it here in America, with large exotic animals and all, is in the past.

7. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

Toby Tyler was another small traveling circus that would pop up in the area. As a towerman on the railroad it was always fun when the big circus trains would pass the tower. If the new guy was gullible enough we would give them a radio and send them out to the bridge to let us know if the giraffes had their heads sticking out the roof hatch so we could stop the train. Never lost a one but I digress.

BobHufford and tonyb like this.
  8. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Early- to mid-’50s, is my guess, what with the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser and the style of the cars.

This example is faded and has water damage. Better examples go for much more than I’d ever pay, unless through some miracle I came into a pile of money.

I bought it, framed, a decade or more ago from a junktique store in Tacoma.

9F7F9589-C29A-4AA8-9BA6-576D3D890EF7.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    dh66, St.Ignatz and BobHufford like this.
  9. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

As I recall your Hoxie poster may be pre 1970. The last I recall had a little bit of yellow in them. Always low budget no frills but fun. Take your valuables and lock the car. Ain't accusin' just passing on advice from my friend the animal trainer.

tonyb likes this.
  10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

A30118CA-5A5E-4977-AC77-7096C765471A.jpeg

These may be the sole surviving examples. For that reason alone they’re precious, if not in any monetary way.

DD4E1393-70C2-445D-95EF-B46AEABBCE00.jpeg