Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage racing shirts/single rider

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A collection of three of the popular mass produced racing shirts. Buco J-100, Beck 666 and HD Sportster.

image4.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Attachments

• Buco.jpeg
    Buco.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 493
  • Beck.jpeg
    Beck.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 502
  • HD.jpeg
    HD.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

Blackadder

Unfortunately the Beck is too small for me. As to my thoughts, the Beck has gussets which will expand if too tight. I should have looked for one size bigger. The Buco and HD is therefore more forgiving. I will check the length and width etc for a more detailed comparison.

HD
image1.jpeg

Buco
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Blackadder

There is no size tag
Shoulder / Underarm Width / Length / Sleeve
17 / 21 / 25 / 24.5 Buco
18 / 21.5 / 24.5 / 25 HD
18 / 18.5 / 26 / 24.5 Beck

The sleeves on HD are the widest.

Last edited:

Blackadder

How do these compare in terms of quality of the leather, lining and hardware?
Lining and main zipper of my Buco have been replaced. Beck has a sharper lining but one would be hard pressed to find one with good original lining. My opinion is these original linings even if repaired would not last. Leather wise, I think all three are from the 60s when steerhide has more or less replaced HH in mass production. All of them seem to be chrome tanned steerhide with about the same thickness. The Buco has more grain
Hardware Beck has Esko zipper, Buco is talon and HD is Conmar. All are nickel.

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Score - 1960s from Toronto, Canada. "Looks like horse", according to Dena, who is putting in an internal pocket. I find these racing shirts less useful for casual wear without an internal pocket for my wallet. I am putting one into the Score and one of my HD Sportsters. The other Sportster is left as is - all original.

P1060425.JPG

HD Sportster

P1050830croppedresized.JPG

Blackadder

@Blackadder Great collection of vintage racing shirts! The Beck 666 is a tough fit. I owned one for a few minutes but it did not fit well.

@Marc mndt Your HD Sportster looks fantastic! Congrats.

Buco J-100

buco-j100-0045-jpg.170815
Yes I gave up getting another Beck even though the one I have does not fit me. Your posts of J-100 and other's HD Sportster are what encouraged me to look into real vintage after I got all those repros. In the past, the oldest leather jacket I ever owned were from the 70s. I never thought that there could be any pre-70s wearable condition leather jackets until I saw yours. Of course the next question is how to find one that is affordable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk