Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Resistol Dress Western Hats-Conversion?

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
resistolmysteryhatcolor.jpg

sheriffmilamcountyclintblack.jpg

The hat in the color photo is a vintage Resistol with a 3.4-inch brim and 5.5-inch crown at the rear, stitched-in brim, light brown sweat and red Resistol liner. The crown is the softest I've ever found in a western hat, and the brim is super-thin, and a bit stiffer than a dress hat. It might be a custom hat-I've never seen another like it. I've tried to wear it in a cattleman's block, but it doesn't work. The guitar is not for sale.
The second hat is a Resistol Fort Worth, 2.9-inch brim and a 4.5-inch crown at the rear. I can't wear a traditional Open Road without looking like a circus bear, but the Fort Worth looks great on me. The crown is fuller. Either of these hats could be converted to a dress-style hat much easier than a thick western.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Howdy Vern! Your hat really looks great- Resistol snuck some sleepers by
the hat wearing crowd- I've got a couple of winners, but yours is by far
more stylish-sorta transitions from Western to City, and does it easily.
The second hat, on the other hand (or head) is one familiar to us all- what
size is it, is it for sale, can I buy it, what's for dinner? Keep sending those
photos-and please do get back to me about the OR - type hat. thanks!

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
I re-measured the brim on the Resistol Fort Worth (black and white photo.) it's actually a full three inches. The crown remains vertical for a longer distance before it folds into the dents, so combined with the wider brim, it has a bigger and more more substantial look to it, even though it probably doesn't consume much more felt fur. It's more of a traditional western hat with a short brim. The brim is quite thin, the same thickness as my early 60's Open Road, but the feel is a bit stiffer.
The "Mystery Resistol" is the nicest hat I own. I've tried wearing it with the brim shaped into a more western-style brim and the crown shaped in a cattlemen's block, but I wind up looking like a dork. I sometimes wear it with the crown totally undented, which also works well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points