Vintage Rugby Jerseys

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Enrico, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Enrico

Enrico New in Town

Anyone else play rugby, or like vintage rugby jerseys? I have one I try to wear at practices.

[​IMG]

Here's some of the more famous team jerseys, probably from the 30s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, a rather stylish shirt for such a vigorous activity. Any other full backs on the forum, or ruggers in general?

2. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

I have never played Rugby, but in High School we played Speed Ball. It was a cross between Rugby, American Football and the rest of you style Football. Pretty nasty, lots of concussion, a few broken bones, and one kid lost his front teeth. And the funny thing is, that was just one game! I am sure it is banned now days. I do like Rugby shirts, have a couple, wish I had more. They come and go in style over here, I will buy more when they come back in!

3. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Hi Enrico,

Welcome to the Lounge.

I am rugby mad (like most Kiwis I suppose :) ), played at school level, mostly as a winger. Obviously a huge ABs fan and support the Blues in the Super 15.

I have a few old rugby jerseys, main ones being an old school 70s ABs one - from long before they put Steinlager/Adidas/AIG guff all over it - and an old Ponsonby club jersey from the 30s.

The one in that first pic (second row, far right) is arguably the holy grail for Kiwi rugby fans, the 1924 Invincibles jersey ;)

There's actually a rugby union thread at the Lounge:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?49639-RUGBY-UNION!!

Also Sports d'Epoque make replicas of some vintage rugby jerseys:

http://www.sports-depoque.com/fr/77-collection-equipes-nationales

4. Enrico

Enrico New in Town

Thank you Stearmen and Smithy.

It must be nice to have a team that wins all the time! The US is a rugby desert but I play on a very large school team nearby.

Must be so cool to have those old jerseys. I must say I am so glad to have found a forum which embodies all of my interests - vintage, history, militaria, and now rugby.

I'll have to see about getting one of those repros.

Sincerely,

E.

5. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

I played on the wing at school level and university. Big Ulster & Ireland supporter. Will try to dig out some photos!

6. PADDY

image.jpg

Many moons (& a few inches on the waistline) ago!

7. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Brilliant Paddy!

That reminds me that I have to get some old photos off my sister (she looks after all our family's old snaps).

8. Dragon Soldier

Dragon Soldier One of the Regulars

Haven't played in years, bit long in the tooth and a tad rotund for it now, even as a prop. Still follow Ulster & Ireland particularly if they're playing in France or Italy :p

This is repro "vintage" Ulster shirt that comes out of the closet on occasion, apologies for the rough 'n' ready photo.

shirt.jpg

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

I have a jersey packed away somewhere that I wore when playing for the Aspen Rugby Club over thirty years ago. Would that qualify as vintage?

Last seen, my jersey had several holes, a frayed collar and stains on it that are either blood or from a Bloody Mary; either source being a distinct possibility .:p

Here's a photo of its likeness worn by an Aspen player in recent action.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  10. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Always good to see an American who enjoys Rugby. My team, Northampton Saints (they are are a long way from London) have an American national in their side. Name of: Samu Manoa

It's a long, long time since I played Rugby, in fact, when I played it was still three points for a try.

11. Dragon Soldier

I was at Saints last year for the HEC game, great fun. Spent most of the weekend in the Thomas A'Beckett.

Fine side, finer support.

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Not that 7-40 drubbing by Leinster? Oh the shame. Did my team turn up?

13. Dragon Soldier

Nah, different occasion....

sai.jpg

14. PADDY

I'll be nipping over to Ravenhill (haven't been in the new stadium yet) for a few Ulster games next season!

15. Dragon Soldier

Do give us a nod ahead of time.
    There are occasional (in fact no longer that ocasional) things to do of a vintage-y nature.

16. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

I have never played rugby. I don't even know how. But I like to wear real rugby shirts in cooler weather. I typically buy them on eBay, used but probably not vintage. Here's one I bought about a month ago.

[​IMG]

AF

17. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The only CI rugby club that I have heard of is the Channel Island one. Next time you are searching around on e-bay, keep an eye out for an old Barbarian shirt. The Barbarians, known as The Baa-Baas, are an invitation only team. Internationals from every rugby playing country are invited on their merit to play in the famous Barbarian shirt. And there's always one player who has never won a cap playing for his country. To be called to the Barbarians is considered an honour as great as playing for your country.
    http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-12027-barbarians_rugby_shirt___-_black_and_white_hoops.html

18. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Interesting. The brand of Rugby shirt I always look for is "Barbarian", a company in Canada. The shirt pictured above is a "Barbarian".

AF

19. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone recommend an article about the history of Rugby in the US? I would like to know more about it but didn't find much with an initial search online.

20. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton One Too Many

I remember when rugby shirts were all the rage in the 80s. Every catalogue house had one, if not many. I remember even places with souvenirs had them as an option. Pretty pricey at around $40 when the minimum wage was $3.50/hour. Is that still common? I don't think I've seen one in a souvenir setting in a while. I had a roommate who wore them exclusively. I ended up borrowing one at some point and found them comfortable and practicable in the fall and spring seasons. I like that you don't tuck them in and that they're basically a durable light sweatshirt. I only have a single one remaining. Believe it is made by a New Zealand company. Is 80s considered vintage in this world?