Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Shopping in Los Angeles (on a budget!)

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Hello everybody! :)

I've been looking at a few boards here, looking at ebay, and I have even been out shopping at a few places (Burbank, Eagle Rock, Pasadena, and Melrose). I am trying hard to find good vintage dress (30s to 40s era). When I am out shopping, I find it terribly discouraging because not only is it hard to find clothes that I like, but also that fit (I am looking for a Large to Extra Large), and are affordable. My limit is about 40 dollars (and that's pretty much including tax). I would go to a thrift store, but sometimes those can be hit or miss. I think especially since vintage is so popular, the good dresses get taken very quickly.

Also, when I am shopping for a dress, what are some tips to keep in mind? I found that when I am shopping, there always seems to be a blending of the eras. I bought a purse one time that was labeled as 1940s, but through further research I believe it to be more 1950s to 1960s. In that case it was okay because I love my purse no matter what. I am always really hesitant to believe the labeling in stores. I found that this happens a lot on ebay. Help! I am so confused. [huh]

I am also very sorry for posting a question like this similar in another board. Nobody got back to me there, so I wasn't sure if it was an old thread that nobody visits anymore. :(

swinggal

One Too Many
The most 40s dresses I saw in LA were at Playclothes in Burbank when I was there twice last year, but not for $40. Also saw a fair few in the vintage clothing stores in Long Beach as well. 30s dresses are geneally hard to come by. I have a quite a lot but most come from ebay and it has taken me a long time to get a decent collection. Ebay is a good source of vintage gear.

Many of us here have been collecting and wearing for a long time so are very good at telling the eras apart, as they are quite distinctive, but for a newbie, it can be hard. I would suggest studying the different eras online. Pattern stores like Eva Dress are great because you can look at the the illsutrations on the covers to get a good idea of the subtle changes in the styles of the eras like the 30s and 40s.

Also, making dresses from vintage or repro patterns is also a great idea because you know they will fit you and wont cost a bundle. I have made a lot of my own dresses and can throw them in the wash, which is also an advantage. Many of the ladies here make their own repro gowns from vintage patterns. There is one lady on etsy who makes AMAZING repro stuff and she is not too expensive. She will make to measure and i have bought a dress from her and it's hard to tell that it isn't vintage because she uses old buttons and finishing techniques. Just chek in her feedback to see all the stuff she has made for clients. http://www.etsy.com/shop/allureoriginalstyles?ref=pr_shop

Another of my friends here has an Etsy shop (Lady Day). She has bigger sizes and some great patterns and dresses for sale :)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewVintageLady?ref=ss_profile

Last edited:

Mojito

One Too Many
Seconding Swinggal's recommendations. Another thing you might consider doing is putting pieces on layby - many vintage sellers are very accommodating, and you can pay them off in a few installments.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
'On a budget' is a myth in LA, one of the largest vintage communities in the US. Heck, the largest. People who sell know most of the time what they have, and people who buy can sniff out a 'bargain' if they find one.

LA has tons of flea markets, but entry is a premium. Also there is the Long Beach Flea market, but then again, you have to pay an entry fee.

If its in a vintage shop, the mark up means the seller has looked over it and may have had slight repairs done to it and what not, hence the higher price. Im all for a fair price as opposed to a bargain. That's most likely what you are going to find here unless the item is really damaged. There really isnt any, 'Oh, I found this 30s dress for $10!' here in LA.

Playclothes has some really great fairly priced items. I got a pair of 30s white oxfords from there for $60! Thats a good price! Also Id hook up with the vintage crowd via social networking. There are tons of yard sales and costume sales here, a lot of the sellers being vintage folk who are thinning their collections. Always have a bit of cash ready because that dream item could spring up at any time.

LD

Idledame

Practically Family
I once asked someone at Goodwill if they ever get vintage in, and the answer was that the dealers go through the stuff at the main store, where they sorted things, before it even gets sent to the local stores. So you would have a better chance at smaller thrift shops probably. And if you go to enough thrift shops, you'll eventually find something. Introduce yourself and tell them to keep an eye out for what you're looking for.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Again, thank you so much for all the comments. I really appreciate them. All of them have been very helpful. :)

I have to agree that I like to be able to pay for a fair price for vintage (as long as I think it is reasonable). Taking the example that was mentioned earlier, if someone was advertising a 1930s dress for 10 dollars (which would only work in a perfect world! :D), I would take that as a serious red flag. Either it's not really vintage (vintage 80s?) or the dress has some serious problems. I believe that vintage should be affordable for everyone. Not everybody can afford a 100 dollar vintage dress, no matter how beautiful it is.

I have some good news to report. I went vintage shopping again today and I found a lovely dress that I think that will work for me! Whoo-hoo! Off to the Queen Mary I go! Now if it was only September. :)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I once asked someone at Goodwill if they ever get vintage in, and the answer was that the dealers go through the stuff at the main store, where they sorted things, before it even gets sent to the local stores. So you would have a better chance at smaller thrift shops probably. And if you go to enough thrift shops, you'll eventually find something. Introduce yourself and tell them to keep an eye out for what you're looking for.

Somehow dealers sorting through clothes donated to a charitable foundation and then likely selling their treasure finds for triple digits seems oh-so-sad. Or bad. Or both.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I agree. It seems kind of immoral to buy something that was fairly inexpensive to begin with that was originally intended to do some good for people and it gets marked up really high later (which the profits never reach the people who probably need it the most). :mad:

The retail industry can be a really heartless industry. I should know. I work in retail.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a rag mill? :confused:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't think its immoral. Most people dont know the work a lot of sellers go through to get their inventory. Weighting through old musty attics full of rat droppings and what not, getting up super early to drive forever to get there first. We are paying for all that labor.

A rag mill is a large factory that cuts up and dices tons of clothing into pulp for other uses. Clothes are just thrown in piles and sellers go and sift through the piles of clothing to find sellable items before they are destroyed. Often the takeaways are charged by the pound.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana