Vintage SHORTS!

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Baron Kurtz, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Great photo, TT.

2. Yes, British military shorts will form the next part of this thread. My grandfather was one of those chaps who didn't want to remember. ( Highway Decorators in Egypt and El Alamein, Libya, Sicily, Italy running a flamethrower, then France - after D-Day thankfully - Germany and BAOR did not make for overly wholesome memories or pride.) I suspect he burned all his stuff, or just left it when he demobbed.

This is in Egypt, I think. 3rd from left w/ slouch hat and inappropriate dagger:

[​IMG]

3. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Great shot. I know you have the Aussie connection but the slouch hat was it to keep off the sun or was he an Aussie?

4. British desert regiments got a slouch hat too. He is 51st Highland, 6th (I think) Gordon Highlanders.

I have a very early slouch (prob Boer War era) made by Hobson & Son, the military outfitters, in deep forest green which I've never been able to identify, though it's clearly been pinned up with badges on both sides.

Judging by the lack of tan, I'd say these Scottish lads had just arrived in North Africa:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Well, at least they are staying at the Ritz! ;)

6. Tailor and Cutter, vol XLVI #3379, 24-7-1931

What not to Wear [on Holiday]

Another form of holiday which will attract many young people this year is hiking. The dress for such pastime has almost become prescribed. It consists of drill or other shorts, khaki twill cotton or flannel shirt with pockets, leather belt, golf stockings and absorbent underwear. The usual headgear is a beret which, so far as observation goes, suits very few.

If hiking consists of sticking to the high-road this outfit is all right; but if one anticipates rambling across country through woods and thickets, over hedges and among briars, trousers are preferable.

7. simonc

simonc Practically Family

[​IMG]

8. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe One Too Many

1375097_727054910644275_197502968_n.jpg

The mesh shirt is what really makes this ensemble . . .

9. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

[​IMG]

10. Tomasso

Makes it what?

11. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

British army officer, off duty, in Germany, late 1940s:

[​IMG]

My father in Spain, late 1950s:
    [​IMG]
    (I suspect those are a pair of his old army shorts)

12. With the double straps at the waistband and lack of field dressing pocket on the right thigh, it would suggest an immediate postwar pair of shorts, before the '52 pattern cross-over belts. Would that be right for his army service?

13. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Spot on: 1947 to 1949.

14. Tomasso

[​IMG]
    image.jpg

Reed Vreeland with wife Diana on the steps of the Southampton Bathing Corporation in the late forties.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  15. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

1935 Shorts at Midway.jpg

This seems a good place to put this: Shorts, or the implication thereof, on Midway Island, 1935. From "Flying the Pacific," National Geographic, December 1936. Which is an account of a Martin M-130 flying from California, to Manila.

Benny Holiday and Talbot like this.
  16. timmbo

timmbo New in Town

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I don't want to start an entirely separate one...

Any recommendations for brands that currently produce "vintage" style shorts? e.g. with a rise that sits at the true waist (which for me is a 12" ish rise).