Vintage Steamer trunk

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by HanauMan, Jun 10, 2017.

1. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

I would like to show you my vintage steamer / footlocker trunk. It was made in West Germany and dates from the late 1950s / early 1960s I would guess.

This trunk was bought by my father in Thailand in 1967. He was there as a US Army sergeant helping to build a road in Thailand though I don't know the full details. By the end of his time there he had so much stuff that he had to buy this trunk to bring it all back home again. He used the trunk for the rest of his army career; it followed him to the US, DaNang, West Germany and it finally ended up in the family garage where I retrieved it after my fathers' death. Thus it has stayed in the family for fifty years.

The trunk is made out of metal, I'm guessing probably aluminium as the body hasn't rusted. The metal lock, made out of steel, has rusted. The lock also has 'Made in West Germany' on it.

Being German it is of good quality and well made. There are leather handles to the front and sides.

On the top of the trunk are the remains of an American Airways label.

Inside the blue gingham material is still in pretty good order though there is some mildew present.

A little souvenir of Thailand still adorns the inner pocket, a little Thai Buddhist pin which has been there since 1967.

The trunk harks back to a different way of travelling and a different era. It is old and beat up, but I like it that way.

2. 1955mercury

1955mercury One of the Regulars

I'm guessing there's photos in your post HanauMan. Must have to be a special member to see them though. I get a message saying I don't have permission to view them.

3. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Sorry about that - still getting used to the forum. Is that better?

1955mercury likes this.
  4. 1955mercury

1955mercury One of the Regulars

Much better. Thanks.

5. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I love those old-fashioned trunks! I think you're right, it is made of aluminium. It's in great condition!

Gee I'd love something like that... :eek:

6. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Practically Family

Accidentally found this thread.
    Cool old thing!
    Very similar in style to the old aircrafts skin, which I love so much.
    Aluminum ... rivets ... great!

HanauMan likes this.
  7. JC225

JC225 One of the Regulars

IMG_1064.jpg

Vintage Stage Illusion that we use for a television stand.