Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage style, crew neck, undershirts?

anthonya26yd

New in Town
I'm trying to find a source for white crewneck undershirts which have a vintage cut. They should be more form fitting, rather short sleeved, wide collar, and a rolled neck collar if possible. I'm looking to find ones that would be correct for the 1940s. If you know of a good brand that makes such a shirt, please let me know (I've already spent a couple hours scouring the internet for one to no avail). Thanks for your help!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
There are quite a few companies, new and old, that do good cuts. I can't tell you off the top of my head, but look for new, or traditional companies that are doing "vintage" fit. the secret is that a few years back, they were trying to emulate the 70s fit, but the 70s fit tshirts were pretty much as they had always been.

Don't know much about a rolled neck. Not quite sure what you mean, but back in the 40s, they were meant to fit under a dress shirt, so roll would be odd. One of my favorite shots is Marlon Bandon in a Promo photo. Is this what you mean.

http://jakedavis.typepad.com/jakedavis/2009/03/basics-white-tshirt.html

I have a handfull of them that fit like that. I will go check my dresser cause they are all thrift store finds........Ok, Fruit of the loom and Jerzees. The trick is you have to buy them in a small size. I wear a size 38 but these are xs and 34-36. I am not as lean as I used to be, but I am still pretty muscular, so I can kind of rock them. Also, try American apparel. Or just hit a thrift store. See what you can find. Also a good way to find vintage style collars and prints in shirts. A few weeks ago, I found a tank top t that fit and looked really vintage. Turns out, it is a Gap maternity tank. Go figure.

As for the roll collar, are you thinking of something like this. I don't really know what this is, but James Dean sure looks good in it. If anyone can tell me what it is, I sure would like to find one. It seems to be some kind of light weight sweater, maybe a boating type of thing.

Anyhoo, just some thoughts. Nothing like a good t-shirt.

anthonya26yd

New in Town
http://www.8th-armored.org/pics/58th/58c_p066.htm - Here's a good pic of the style of T-shirts I'm looking for.

By rolled collar, I mean as opposed to a ribbed neck collor. So basically a piece of plain woven fabric folded over the neck edge and sewn down. I'm not sure if that's the true name for the type of neck binding, but that's what I've heard it reffered to. Part of the style I'm looking for is the wide neck, much wider than many modern undershirts, like hanes comfort-soft T's that I normally wear.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Old Navy actually has a new line of "vintage" cut t-shirts. I was actually looking at them a few weeks ago looking for a classic '30s-'50s style striped t-shirt but went with their "classic" cut because of color choice.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Merz b. Schwanen http://www.merz-schwanen.com/en/20st-shirt/
114-natur.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I second Merz B. Schwanen. I don't onw one (yet) because they are not cheap. But they are made on old machines and have some great features. The owner is collecting deadstock and vintage shirts. He appears to know his stuff.

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Actually ive taken two of these short sleeve and long to a tailor and had a 3 button placket put in to make it into a henley shirt

TSP13

Familiar Face
http://www.8th-armored.org/pics/58th/58c_p066.htm - Here's a good pic of the style of T-shirts I'm looking for.

By rolled collar, I mean as opposed to a ribbed neck collor. So basically a piece of plain woven fabric folded over the neck edge and sewn down. I'm not sure if that's the true name for the type of neck binding, but that's what I've heard it reffered to. Part of the style I'm looking for is the wide neck, much wider than many modern undershirts, like hanes comfort-soft T's that I normally wear.
I have an Old Navy ringer tee shirt that has a wide "rolled neck" just like those in the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112