Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage sweatband question

Fedora

Vendor
Most of you know that I am fond of the Stetson line. I have noticed that the sweatbands change colors over the years. The older Stetsons that I own all have a tan, or very light brown band, then there are some of my Stetsons that look to be newer that have a medium brown band. I have noticed on ebay some coming with black bands(and the hat was not black). Now it just seems to me that Stetson used the tan bands early on, and then later change to the darker brown ones like you see in the new Stetson dress hats. When did the black ones come in? Someone a couple of years ago told me to not buy the black banded ones or the ones with the medium brown bands, because they were the newer hats. Any ideas? Fedora

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Fedora, most of the black leathers I have seen have been in 1960s hats or newer. '50s and earlier tend to be medium brown with the occasional light brn/tan. I like the lighter leathers but can't find them right now so I am using a brushed black. They seem so be more comfortable for some reason.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
All of my vintage fedora's have brown sweatbands. A few years ago I made the mistake of buying a Stetson Temple, it had a black one, I sold it as fast as I could find a buyer for it. The new stetsons just aren't worth the money you pay for them. I do have one borsalino that I think is from the 60s and it has a black one. However the hat is overall very nice. But since it's brim is only about 2 inches I don't ever wear it.

fedoralover

GCR

New in Town
Originally posted by fedoralover
A few years ago I made the mistake of buying a Stetson Temple, it had a black one...

fedoralover

I, too, made that mistake, although I can't recall what color the sweatband was...I could have sworn it was dark brown, but that may be my imagination. I do, however, have another "modern" Stetson that has the black sweatband. The worst part is, like the rest of the hat, Stetson cut corners on the sweatband, it isn't even real leather. It's some kind of synthetic material, almost like what can be found in the Dorfman Pacific wool-felt "Indy" hat. It's almost like paper or cardboard and can be ripped like paper. The cheapness of this hat (and all new Stetsons), continues to amaze me...

-GCR

Fedora

Vendor
I bought 2 Stetson Temples and 2 or 3 Nostalgias a few years ago, and it seems all of these had the dark brown bands too. Some of my vintage hats have a tan band, and some have a light brown. Wonder which was used first. I sorta think the tan was. Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy