Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

3fingers

One Too Many
My mother had the home version of the deli slicer. I have no idea where it came from other than possibly something she got as a gift or door prize. She was always a minimalist on such things, so I can't see her buying one. It would slice ham or roast beef like tissue paper.

Edward

Bartender
^^ They are the best. We have a Kitchen Aid version too that is fancier, but doesn't work better.

As a general rule, I've long found that the more expensive the tin opener, the shorter will be its working lifespan. The cheapest of cheapo butterfly tin openers serves me the best. I do remember when my folks got our first butterfly opener (I'm guessing they are much older, but...) in about 1984. I was allowed to open tins for the first time, apart from that one time before I went away on CubScout camp and my Mother hovered over me using the old claw type that my parents had always used up til then.... The butterfly is just so much faster!

Remember when everybody just had to have an electric can opener? Like, late '60s/early '70s?

If I'm typical, lots of people determined that when those Brave New Labor-Saving Devices weren't in use they were just in the way. And they were a PITA to clean. In other words, more trouble than they were worth.

It's different for the arthritic, of course. From my perspective, electric can openers are as much adaptive equipment as practical kitchen appliance.

The most effective use I always found for the one my parents had was finding the cat. Even if he was outside, far from our garden - open the window, rev the electric tinny opener, he'd come running... only drawback was he expected fed immediately, no matter how recently he'd eaten....

The can opener reminded me of another 1960's/'70's thing, the electric knife. I only really remember them being used at holiday dinners, but it seemed like most people in my orbit had one. They were popular wedding gifts for a time, but I seriously doubt they show up on many bridal registries these days.

My folks got one in the eighties. Got quite a lot of use with red meat; in those days lamb was local and cheap, and my mother practically raised us on it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Olive loaf, phooey. For a new taste thrill, try Macaroni and Cheese Loaf.

mac_and_cheese%20loaf.jpg

3fingers

One Too Many
As a child I liked pickle and pimento loaf. I haven't eaten it in well over 40 years and the idea of going out to find some doesn't appeal to me at all.

Apparently the U2 Spy Plane will be with us for years to come according to this WSJ article from today:

The U-2 Spy Plane Is Still Flying Combat Missions 60 Years After Its Debut

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-u-...mbat-missions-60-years-after-debut-1528382700

B3-AS071_SPYPLA_M_20180606163356.jpg
U.S. pilot Francis Gary Powers, shown in this undated photo, was shot down in a U-2 plane while on a mission over the Soviet Union in 1960, thrusting the then-secretive plane into the international spotlight. PHOTO: ALLIED MUSEUM/ASSOCIATED PRESS

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The road maintenance standards of this county...

View attachment 121685

My wife not too long ago...

View attachment 121686
One of my previous hobbies was to go on seasonal roads where we used to live. These are rarely maintained. One day I went on a road that hadn't been maintained in many many years, probably a decade. I'd come to a small pond in the road, stop, and take a stick and put it in the pond. If I hit hard bottom I'd continue. I got to about the 8th one a mile in and it was big. I stuck a 3 foot stick in and the pond literally sucked it up.

It wasn't as much fun backing a mile out of the woods as it was driving in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points