Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sure, we live in a world where progress is inevitable, blah blah blah, but even if that proves to be so, there are certain things that are so simply and perfectly designed that there is no reason for them to disappear anytime soon, no matter how old they are.

I expect to be rampant on the earth for another twenty-five years or so, give or take, and by the end of that span I expect the following items to be just as common and just as recognizable as they are now, and as they have been for many decades.

1. Corn Flakes. They've been around well over a century, and there's no reason to think, barring the catastrophic collapse of civilization, that they won't be around ad infinitum.

2. Fire hydrants. One of the most perfectly-designed items of the industrial age. Built for function not for form, they'll be completely recognizable in 2042, 2142, or as long as humans congregate in post-industrial cities.

3. The Pneumatic Tire. It might change in profile or material, but as long as there's a need for surface transportation, the simple inflatable tire remains the most efficient cushion between vehicle and road.

4. Zippers. Never mind space-age polymer garments with invisible fastenings, there'll always be a place and a need for the simple sewn-in zipper.

5. Aluminum Foil. A product of infinite utility with no need to evolve past its original form.

6. The mechanical pencil sharpener. Disposable mechanical pencils nonwithstanding, there will always be a place for the plain wooden pencil, and there will always need to be a simple, cheap, efficient way to sharpen it.

7. Spam. Not the email, the meat product. Cold or hot, Spam Hits The Spot. So there.

Others?

Good old fluorescent-tubes. Nice, versatile, easy availabe, looooong-lasting, always needed, at least in any working-places.

Turtleneck-pullover. One of the greatest versatile clothes, ever invented. And you can choose between fine-knit, coarse-knit and cheaper Jersey. :)

Toasters - bread in, toast out. Sure its external appearance moves a bit with the time, but heating coil and electricity are its core and that isn't changing.

Marshmallow Fluff - someone figured out a way to make a marshmallow into a spread, genius.

Last edited:
The backpack. Still one of the simplest and smartest designed pieces of luggage. It intelligently distributes the weight of what you are carrying over your core and leaves your arms and hands free. Like everything, it will have design and "fashion" tweaks, but its core features won't change as it is perfect for what it does.

Last edited:

St. Louis

Practically Family
Hand sewing needles. Knitting needles. Woven fabrics: the 7 basic weaves have been around for millennia. Actually, the same thing goes for most knitted stitches.

Dog leashes. Undershirts. Cotton bedsheets. TP. Paper clips. Safety pins (around since the 1850s.) The basic sewing machine mechanism (ditto.)

HanauMan

Practically Family
As an avid reader I would say BOOKS.

Sure, you have your electronic books and such, but there is nothing like opening a brand new book, gently creasing its spine. Just the tactile feel of a book, whether a cheap paperback or a top notch edition, is just so right. I even sniff the pages to enjoy that aroma of new paper. There is a romance in books that no electronic book can copy and so, I suggest, books will remain in all good and decent homes for some years yet.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
The gasoline internal combustion engine? It is quite efficient and does not require a special plug to refuel from the tap from the power plant. The heater works better, it has a longer range of travel at any time of the day, can be had in a tiny car or a huge truck or gas-guzzling road hog painted van, lasts a long time and is generally reliable.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I'm not quite up to speed yet but here's a couple more things that will be around for a while:

Chocolate: it's been around in some form for a long time.
Peanut butter: I don't know how long it's been around but there are good things to be made with peanut butter and chocolate.

Hazelnut-cream filled double-cookies, always my friend, underways!! :D

20888683_digital-image.png

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My favorites in no specific order:

Chocolate malts.
Home-made brownies.
NYC pizza.
Cream of Wheat.
Hot chocolate.
Coffee.
Chicken soup in winter time for colds.
Home-made vegetable soup.
Thanksgiving.
Christmas.
Red wine with beef steak.
White wine with fried shrimp & baked potato.
Mozarella cheese & garlic bread.
Hamburgers & hot-dogs.
Film noir movies.
Dr. Pepper / Coke (glass bottles)
Antique wood furniture & buildings.
Books, mostly non-fiction.
Music: 1900s - 1950s. Mostly jazz.
VW beetles.
Vintage bicycles.
Fishing @ lake.
501 button fly jeans.
Plain cotton white t-shirts.
Converse / PF Flyers.
Wing-tip shoes.
Western boots.
Saddle shoes.
Henry rifles w/ brass receivers.
A-1 & WW2 A-2 leather jackets.
Oil paintings. Impressionist era.
Photography: 8x10 format, wood camera.

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
When my daughter lived in Germany a few years ago not far from Trier, she would send us a big box of German chocolates and other confections at Christmas. It happened that a couple of local stores carried everything they send. But it was still appreciated.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Good old fashioned rock n' roll. A nice vintage sound started in the 50s, and still around today though the sounds of my generation seem a bit less popular than they did in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. And speaking of my generation, vinyl records won't be going anywhere soon if my generation has anything to say about it. Nothing quite like the crispness and that snap, crackle and pop of a needle on plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112