Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

Almost every time I buy new music. I like having a "hard copy" and it sounds better if I'm listening at home vs. on my phone.

It may be my ignorance talking here, but I have very limited faith in “the cloud,” where, I am assured, my photos and music and such is all safely harbored, should my “devices” go pffftt, as they almost certainly will.

I got 78s, and 45s, and LPs, and cassettes, and CDs. I have lotsa digital stuff — photos, mostly — backed up on a portable hard drive. I have plastic bins full of newspapers carrying my byline. A fire might destroy it all, but I still have more faith in media I can actually see and touch and physically move whenever I might.

Demolition Derby. Although now using combines is a "thing"...
In this part of California combines are harder to come by, so they started using Recreational Vehicles (a.k.a. "RVs") as a "warm up" before the formal Derby with the rolling junkyard wrecks. If you've never seen an RV Demolition Derby, you aren't missing much because RVs are so flimsy and cheaply made that they fall apart if you breathe on them too hard, especially if they have a few hard years under their fanbelts. Ralph Nader wasted his time claiming the Chevrolet Corvair was unsafe at any speed while these spit-and-tissue behemoths were crossing the country.

When did you convert Audio-CDs to mp3-files for your USB-player the last time?? :)
Never. I have CD players that do a perfectly good job of playing my CDs as they are. :D Also, I agree with Mr. Hufford--I want a hard copy of whatever entertainment media I've purchased.

However...years ago "they" finally released an "official" soundtrack to a movie I liked. The problem was that several prominent songs were missing, and one or two others were the wrong version. o_O So I searched the 'Net, found all of the songs I thought should have been on the official soundtrack, compiled them and put them in the proper order...then asked my wife if she would burn a CD for me because a) I don't know how, and b) listening to music through cheap MP3 player speakers or those ****ing headphones/earbuds sucks.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I digitize 78s using SoundEdit Pro 16, a Macintosh program from the mid-90s on a computer running Classic OS9.2. I've never found a better sound-editing software tool for the kind of stuff I do, and I've never found any good reason to stop using. I've been using it this very afternoon on my eighteen-year-old PowerBook to edit our next radio show.

The digitized records get added to the playlists for my micropower AM radio stations, and broadcast my exceptional taste in 1930s dance music to any radio around the house that I care to switch on. Big old 12-inch Philco speaker in a big wooden cabinet makes with a very satisfying sound.

I think I've bought maybe nine or ten CDs in my entire life, and only a handful of LPs. But I've got eight or nine milk crates full of 78s, so I have no shortage of things to listen to.

"The cloud" is for chumps.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think bicycle, revolver, prescription glasses, cutlery, thread and needle, pickaxe, hammer and nails, bucket, strawhat, pizza oven, casket, fountain pen, sword, canoe and paddle, candle, soap bar, socks, leather jackets and shoes, teddy bear, curtain, pillow and blanket, gravestone are all here to stay :)

I think bicycle, revolver, prescription glasses, cutlery, thread and needle, pickaxe, hammer and nails, bucket, strawhat, pizza oven, casket, fountain pen, sword, canoe and paddle, candle, soap bar, socks, leather jackets and shoes, teddy bear, curtain, pillow and blanket, gravestone are all here to stay :)

My girlfriend's 50+ year-old teddy bear just hollered out a "damn straight" from across the room. Apparently, he agrees with you. :)

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
UXOs

Augsburg.jpg

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That U995 is part of the rather large Navy memorial in Laboe at the bay of Kiel what has been home harbour of the biggest German Navy base in the Baltic Sea, so any unit leaving or approaching the base passed it.
When passing the commander or officer in charge blew his whistle and everybody on deck had to stand in attention, front towards the memorial, paying respect to those who were lost and still stand in sea from both world wars.

Last edited:
...The first time my mother ever saw a bidet was fifty years ago in a motel room in Quebec, and she said, and I quote, "well that's a hell of a place to put a drinking fountain."
I'm creeping up on my 60th birthday and I have never seen a bidet in real life; only in movies, and then usually in the form of a visual gag. If/when I see one I'll know what it is and what it's for, but will still not have the first clue about how to actually use it.

I'm creeping up on my 60th birthday and I have never seen a bidet in real life; only in movies, and then usually in the form of a visual gag. If/when I see one I'll know what it is and what it's for, but will still not have the first clue about how to actually use it.

It’s funny, one of the first things to shock non-Americans when they arrive here is the bathroom. First, realizing just how public public restrooms are. Second is the lack of the bidet or similar. “It’s bad enough I can’t get any privacy, but how am I supposed to...you know...forget it, I probably don’t want to know.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ