Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage violin

Shimmy Sally

I finally got around to getting pictures of the vintage fiddle Johnny is loaning/giving to me. We have some repairs to do. Check out the wooden case with leather strap. Sigh. I think I'm in love. The label inside reads: "Christoforo Giorgi, fecit Neap. 1951"

01951.JPG

01951BACK.JPG

01951CASEINSIDE.JPG

01951CASESIDE.JPG

01951CASETOP.JPG

01951LATCHES.JPG

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Is that flamed maple?!?! It BEAUTIFUL!!! I think I just fell in love too!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I'm a g-tar player and thats almost the exact coloring I've been looking for on a Les Paul! I'm traditionally a Strat player, but I want one, I want one, I want one!!!lol

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Dang, don't I feel stupid. Apparently flamed maple is pretty common in violins?:eek: Shows what I get for playin sunburst Strats. It's still beautiful though, and the perfect color for my dream Les Paul!!:D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is a lovely violin! Hold to it dearly, and only do minor restorations, nothing that would change it's original form. My cousin owns a company Tilden Thurber based in Rhode Island. He's an antique's dealer and has the most incredible collections. But, I believe he got his start with violins. He was a player, and just fell in love with the instrument. So, I can imagine how you are feeling to have such a beautiful instrument.
Who knows what could happen you might just have a gem on your hand, and Italian designed vintage violins can go for oodles of money. Just yesterday, this Stradivari brought in $2.7 million! I think this might be the highest price ever paid for a vintage violin. I know, this ones older than vintage! Gosh, what I wouldn't give just to see such a beautiful instrument in person. It went to a private bidder, might just have to give cousin Stan a call to see if he's heard anything through the grapevine. This all totally reminds me of the movie "The Red Violin"!
Enjoy your new violin, it is lovely:)

Shimmy Sally

Isn't it a treat? The pegs are a perfect fit.
Johnny was planning to fix it up himself, but I said, NO! Don't re-varnish or remove the original finish, don't slice the top off and put a new one on with hide glue. Get it appraised. Anything Italian could be worth money, so to the luthier it goes. He works on guitars and other stringed instruments all the time, but this isn't the same thing. I'd hate to see him ruin it by messing with the inlaid purfling or something! The top is dry, chipped, cracked, warped and the strings were beyond boiling. It's very wonderful and unique. It's rare to see all blonde wood; even the pegs, tail piece, and chin rest. It's a special instrument, monetary value aside.
The case is great too, cases manufactured today look like a backpack. Back when I a little girl studying, my case looked like luggage. I wanted to be like Stuff Smith or Vassar Clements, but only because Regina Carter and M?°ir?©ad Nesbitt weren't on the scene yet!
I'm enjoying it, even though it's not full size. I may put a damp it in the case. I usually take my instruments into the bathroom when I shower to give them the humidor treatment. The summers here aren't good for fiddles.

Shimmy Sally

Dan G said:
Dang, don't I feel stupid. Apparently flamed maple is pretty common in violins?:eek: Shows what I get for playin sunburst Strats. It's still beautiful though, and the perfect color for my dream Les Paul!!:D

Maple is the most common, yes. Most are spruce top, 2-peice maple back, maple sides, ebony trim, fake stick-on purfling, fine tuners on the tail-piece, random metal bits. Most student violins today are Chinese made with at least one loose peg that needs a fitting.
OK, I'm going to post way too much about this. Just be warned.
When I first looked inside the f-hole at the label (at night) I thought it was dated 1651. I almost fainted. I thought he could retire early. He'd never sell it though.
Anyway, I think the only changes we need to make are new strings, professional repair of the top and lower the bridge.
It has a nice solid back, which I prefer, but that's just a matter of opinion. I'm told it could possibly be fruit wood. That's unlikely for the 1900s.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Lovely!! I played for over a decade, so I'm so always interested to hear other adventures of the musical instrument world. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shimmy Sally said:
Don't mention that movie to a luthier! They get all worked up about the inaccuracies. That movie has the best ending.

Oopsy, I'm sorry! I guess it's like mentioning "The Aviator" to a pilot!:eek: But it is a great movie, inaccuracies aside. I did love the ending, and I loved poor Kasper Weiss:(
Gosh, I haven't watched this movie in so long. I think I'm gonna pull out the DVD, it's gonna be a snowy afternoon, so the perfect time to curl up and watch a movie.
Shimmy, I would love to hear you play. The sound of the violin is my favorite instrument. I try to go to The Boston Pops twice a year for they have some wonderful violinists.

Shimmy Sally

I know that is a beautiful movie, I love it. My copy is an old VHS, so I should get the DVD. Or maybe 8mm or whatever...
My left hand is recouping well, so maybe I will start playing out again. I'd probably kill your love of violin :p

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Shimmy Sally said:
Johnny was planning to fix it up himself, but I said, NO!
:eek: Am I wrong, Sally, or is there something about the violin that makes its players and teachers unusually prone to sudden panicky exclamations? ;) My flute teacher shares space with a violin teacher. Our lessons are very mellow and centered. The violin teacher is so tightly wound you can hear her squeak thru the wall whenever something goes wrong.

If it weren't for that I'd consider beginning lessons - with someone or another. Ideally someone who respects jazz. I've been playing jazz saxophone and clarinet for ±25 years, and back in the day there were quite a few sax/violin doublers in the not-so-big bands.

I wanted to be like Stuff Smith or Vassar Clements, but only because Regina Carter and Máiréad Nesbitt weren't on the scene yet!
Now now. Ole Stuff was a real piece of work. Swung his @%% off!

Shimmy Sally

Fletch said:
:eek: Am I wrong, Sally, or is there something about the violin that makes its players and teachers unusually prone to sudden panicky exclamations? ;) My flute teacher shares space with a violin teacher. Our lessons are very mellow and centered. The violin teacher is so tightly wound you can hear her squeak thru the wall whenever something goes wrong.
If it weren't for that I'd consider beginning lessons - with someone or another. Ideally someone who respects jazz. I've been playing jazz saxophone and clarinet for ±25 years, and back in the day there were quite a few sax/violin doublers in the not-so-big bands.
Now now. Ole Stuff was a real piece of work. Swung his @%% off!

You should give it a try! Fiddlers don't fret.... :eusa_doh:
I've known some classical violinists that were as you described, hey hey, we're not all alike. Especially jazz violinists -- a whole different breed.
Stuff was great! I liked Stephane Grappelli too. But Regina tops them all, I just love her style.

Oh, and does anyone know a thing about Christoforo Giorgi? I'm not having much luck figuring out this instrument.

Shimmy Sally

Fletch said:
She's Ron's daughter, right? With a legacy like that she sure better be good...gotta check her out.Let me lay a name on you: Joe Venuti. Definitely give him a listen if you haven't already.

Yeah, I love that early gypsy jazz! You know your stuff.

Regina is the daughter of Grace Carter (rip). I know she's played with some Carters (James, Betty, Ron) but as far as I know, they aren't related. I'll have to look into that.
Besides the technical talent, Regina is just so humble, natural, open, original, and free. She wins you over.

She was the first jazz fiddler ever to play/record with Paganini's historic Guarneri del Gesu violin, an honor only bestowed on a classical player in the past (generally a white male; always a great player but not always the best player).

$ally

One Too Many
Yippity! It looks like I may be playing out again soon (string swing)! You may get to see these beauties in person, should I happen to tour someday off on the horizon. I'd had a couple injuries but I'm all recovered and spiffy. So I'm listening to Vassar Clements and Spade, while getting my blonde and auburn babies fixed up, and jamming away. More details to come as things develop.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
A few weeks back I came around the corner on my way home, and the neighbor at the corner was having a yard sale. She sold me the violin her daughter had used in the school band. It's a 2003 from (tag inside) Waltrip's Music String Collection, Arcadia, CA. (Model #: V012WH. Ser. #: V012WH - 1/2) I know nothing about it, but it came with a bow, electronic tuner, case, and a few spare strings.

Price: $5.00

dscn1654.jpg

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk