Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage White Suede Shoes GREAT!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's another eBayer (not the saddle shoe person) who has been selling off this type of shoe -- a 1960s Royal Canadian Navy oxford -- for the past FIVE YEARS. The seller must have bought an entire warehouse full of these shoes -- and they come in every size.

I have a pair, so I can vouch for them. They are genuine white buck suede oxfords with leather soles. Lining is cotton canvas and leather. Dead stock (never used), and in mint condition. Although they're from the 1960s, they are practically identical to summer shoes made for men in the 1930s. Clearly, the Canadian Royal Navy never bothered to redesign their uniform shoes, and kept on using the '30s style.

If you've always wanted a pair of authentically Golden Era-looking white summer shoes, these are your best bet. Here's a finished auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52391&item=8410519093

Salv

One Too Many
I'm glad they meet with your approval Marc, as I'm waiting for a pair to be delivered, but I had an unusual experience with the seller. He doesn't take Paypal so I had to get a US$ money order, which can be very expensive if issued from a UK bank. Luckily my father was a US Navy man, and since he died my mother gets a small Navy pension that she cashes at a bank in a USAAF base in west London. I got my money order from that bank and posted it off airmail to the seller the day the auction ended. Eight days later the buyer opened a non-payment dispute through eBay - he didn't contact me first to ask if I had sent the payment, he just opened the dispute, which I thought was rather rude. I responded, giving the money order number, the name of the issuing bank and the date I posted the payment. The day after I responded he closed the dispute, stating that he had received the payment. Now call me paranoid, but I found that all rather suspicious.

I chose surface shipping as he charges $40 for airmail, which seems far too high to me, so I've got a few weeks to go before I can expect to see the shoes.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
That's so funny, becuase I just bought the shoes from the very same seller earlier this month. Since they have'nt arrived yet, I flipped out when I saw the exact same pictures for the same item on sale again on ebay. I guess it's reassuring to know that this guy has a warehouse of these shoes and did'nt just put "my" pair back on the auction block.

JDCrockett

New in Town
I bought a pair of these shoes late last summer and was very happy with them. They seem to be NOS shoes and were very clean and in an original box. However I will say that shipping seemed to take longer than normal. I'm used to buying Ebay items from sellers in the USA and receiving same in a week or less. My shoes took several weeks to arrive. Please be patient as I think they were well worth the wait and the seller has excellent feedback, I
just wanted to recount my experience. I think I chose the least expensive shipping option and that the Canadian Postal Service may be partly to blame.
I left the seller good feedback too and would still recommend these shoes to others!:D

Salv

One Too Many
Just reviving this thread to say that the shoes finally arrived on 28th July, but I was on holiday at the time so I only picked them up yesterday. The seller emailed me on 26th May to say they were on their way to me. Since I had only paid for surface mail I expected them to take up to 8 weeks so wasn't too surprised at the long delivery time, but the actual posting date on the parcel was 14th June. I emailed him yesterday to ask why there was such a delay, but I've had no reply yet. The other problem is that while they are beautiful shoes, they are too big. The description stated that they are a UK size 9, but they are at least a size 10.

So overall, not a great eBay experience. I'll keep the shoes - far too much hassle and expense to send them back - and put heel grips in them, but UK buyers should be very careful if they want a pair of these shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy