Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage White Tie Apparel : Top Hat

Mitchell

New in Town
Hey, I'm new to this site; I joined because I have a burning question which must be answered. My Grandmother recently gave me the family tails. In short I inherited full white tie apparel: gloves, walking stick, scarf, shirt-fronts, detachable collar, bow-tie and of course the top hat. The tails belonged to my great-great-great grandfather. So they're extremely old, My grandmother says she found something dated 1928 in the vest pocket. I can only surmise it's from that era, and I even have spats that supposedly came with them. Spats would prove that they were in fact from the 20's as white tie is traditionally not worn with spats, but in the 20's men made exceptions. The Top Hat is silk and is still in it's original hat box. Legend has it, according to my Grandmother that the hat is much older than the tails. Everything is in nearly perfect condition except for the shirt fronts. I have an event coming up, I'm attending a Viennese Ball; The last ball I attended I wore black tie and there were plenty of men my age (26) in white tie. The dress code is black/white tie. I'm considering breaking out the white tie for the ball. I don't think I'll bring the gloves, spats, scarf, or walking stick; however, I am in love with the idea of wearing a top hat. I know I'd be the only one wearing one and that nobody has worn a top hat with white tie since JFK; nevertheless, I am drawn to the idea. I understand it would look a bit like a costume; so I'm curious as to what you guys think? Hat or no hat? White tie or Black Tie?

PS The tails fit me quite well

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, Mitchell.

An invitation that specifies both white tie and black tie could be so because the host would prefer his guests to wear white tie, but is afraid that some of the invitees might not be able to attend in white tie attire, so black tie is added an as option. At least that's how I read it.
Since you do have the option, by all means go for it. It goes without saying that evening attire should be done right or not done at all, so whichever attire fits you best will be the best choice.

As for the topper, go for it if you feel comfortable wearing it. You won't be wearing it during the event anyway, so most of the guests will never even see the hat.

Being biased by vintage standards, I'd wear the topper and skip the spats and walking stick.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Welcome to the Lounge, Mitchell.

An invitation that specifies both white tie and black tie could be so because the host would prefer his guests to wear white tie, but is afraid that some of the invitees might not be able to attend in white tie attire, so black tie is added an as option. At least that's how I read it.
Since you do have the option, by all means go for it. It goes without saying that evening attire should be done right or not done at all, so whichever attire fits you best will be the best choice.

As for the topper, go for it if you feel comfortable wearing it. You won't be wearing it during the event anyway, so most of the guests will never even see the hat.

Being biased by vintage standards, I'd wear the topper and skip the spats and walking stick.
Yep I would agree this sounds very correct. Also in keeping with how you feel, if you like the Top Hat then wear it. You can have someone take some pictures and have them for your own picture album and at some point in time perhaps share a few with us here!

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Do not wear spats with white tie and tails, unless you will be performing publicly onstage. White tie with spats was essentially a costume outfit for professional stage dancers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran