Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Virgin straw hat

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I moved a few months back from the west coast to a part of the country that has seasonal weather patterns. Humidity and softball sized mosquitos are just around the corner, apparently. I'm a felt guy that owns zero straw lids, and I know absolutely nothing about them, so I'm requesting some guidance from my favorite (hatted) support group.

Only thin ribbons for this guy — I'm aiming for something in the style of an OR, Strat or CD. Here's what's currently on my radar:

Thoughts? Suggestions? Pros/cons of each? Thanks in advance.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a fan of the ORs... the hemp one is ok but there is still something odd about its proportions
the hemp strat is not great in my opinion either ... crown is too low ... even when relocked and nothing about it remotely resembles a Stratoliner.
all of the above have a sort of cheap feel to them.

the Original 47 is a nice hat but they are nowhere to be found now unless you find a used one on eBay ... I have one and I dig it ... but the shantung ones that are available now are complete garbage

I would highly recommend putting in an order with Peters Bros.
they are very reasonably priced and have a relatively quick turn around
I had my hat in under 4 week from when ordered
$170 shipped to my door ... probably $30 or so more than you would spend on far inferior hats mentioned above

you can see mine here in post 300

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/peters-bros.82936/page-15

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got a black hemp in the Stratoliner style from Peters Bros. last summer and love it: very light, comfortable, and breathes well. I'm expecting an Indy brown one any day now. Great service, and it's a custom hemp for only $150.00. If you want to see what a great deal it is, take a look at what JJ's Hats are selling and what they're asking for them. The nice thing about Peters Bros., as well, is that you can order one over the phone in about five minutes and get it in (generally) under a month.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I'm not a fan of the ORs... the hemp one is ok but there is still something odd about its proportions
the hemp strat is not great in my opinion either ... crown is too low ... even when relocked and nothing about it remotely resembles a Stratoliner.
all of the above have a sort of cheap feel to them.

the Original 47 is a nice hat but they are nowhere to be found now unless you find a used one on eBay ... I have one and I dig it ... but the shantung ones that are available now are complete garbage

I would highly recommend putting in an order with Peters Bros.
they are very reasonably priced and have a relatively quick turn around
I had my hat in under 4 week from when ordered
$170 shipped to my door ... probably $30 or so more than you would spend on far inferior hats mentioned above

you can see mine here in post 300

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/peters-bros.82936/page-15

Thanks, Moon. Is that the Shady Oaks model with matching trim? Custom height/brim width?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Moon. Is that the Shady Oaks model with matching trim? Custom height/brim width?

that is what they call the "Tankersley"
named after Jims (Fruno) hat
Jim went in and worked on a hat in person with them that was loosely based on a stratoliner with a raised crown and hand bashed diamond.
I ordered a Tankersley and had the brim flange flattened a bit ... more like an OR
the ordering process could not be more simple and the people at PB are absolutely fantastic.
super quality hat soup to nuts ... a hat I probably would have paid double for
not something I would say about those Stetson straws

you could literally call and say you want a Tankersely and then talk about your specifics and add ons and whatnot

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have

RJR

Given the conditions you anticipate,I would certainly recommend a hemp milan hat.At that point you have options as outlined in prior posts.I have both Peters Brothers and Stetson Strats and like both.As Moon points out the Strat has a rather low crown and,I suspect,most reshape it to their liking.With PB you start with a clean slate and help to design your own.
Here are a sage Strat and a natural PB for example.
Hat-Stetson Strat Hemp Sage.jpg

Hat-Stetson Strat Hemp Sage.jpg
Hat-PB Milan 2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112