Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voice recognition software?

pgoat

One Too Many
Someone at my job needs software that supposedly exists which can transcribe spoken word (from a video or audio source - NOT live dictation) to a text document, which you can then search (such as with a Word or PDF file).

Does anyone have any info or leads on where to get this? Thanks in advance...

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I have used Dragon Naturally Speaking for several years now. It may take a few sessions to train it to recognize the particular nuances of your speech patterns, but it works well straight out of the box and gets better with time. My only advice is to ALWAYS proof-read your documents before finalizing them. Overall though, a great program. :)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've used Dragon at work and it's fast, easy and accurate. So I got the Mac version (Dictate) for home use and it's — slow, difficult and ridiculously inaccurate, even though I'm an experienced user.

Thumbs up for Dragon on the PC, thumbs down for Dictate, the Mac version.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
You cannot use Naturally speaking for Audio files that I am aware of...but Dragon make another product which might well work for audio and video files...or it would seem to be so and give you the searchable index you are looking for.

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/products/sdk/sdk_audiomining.asp

By using an advanced speaker-independent dictation engine, Dragon AudioMining creates XML speech index data for every word spoken within an audio file. The index data includes word, time stamp, confidence levels and metadata associated with the speech information, and can be created from broadcast and telephony-quality sources. Ideal for application and Web developers, system integrators and OEM customers, the Dragon AudioMining SDK enables XML speech indexing and search capabilities to be added to commercial, Web and custom applications.

pgoat

One Too Many
Thanks so much, Miss N - that is precisely what we'd need.:eusa_clap

My guess is it will not work very well for the types of files we'd want to transcribe, but they wanted to at least know our options....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto