Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VS high count Montecristi Panama 784wpsi size 7 1/4 (22 5/8")

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Montecristi Panama 28x28 - 750-800 wpsi, 2 3/8" brim, 13 ligne black band, size US 7 1/4

$550.- shipped worldwide

Made to fit a 57.5cm (22 5/8") head circumference. Being a very soft material, this can be stretched (or reblocked) to a larger size.

Rare variety of slightly reddish straw (see comparison pic) which gives an evenly mottled appearance up close. The 28x28 weave is extremely even; as you may know, the vertical weave count is usual higher than the horizontal weave count.

The brim width is 2 3/8" all around, which is also rare. Most of the time, Montecristis cannot be blocked with an even brim width all around because the pre-made hat body doesn't necessarily correspond to the oval shape of a blocked hat. The woven body is more or less round and the blocked hat is oval, so you can see where the difficulty lies. These hat bodies are made in a different culture, after all, and they don't care much about exact brim widths. It's also not too common to find a 2 3/8 brim on a high-count weave, as high-counts tend to be woven in wide brims.

The crown block is nice and straight, as you would expect from a VS hat. Panamas are more often than not blocked on a more rounded, shorter block. Note also the "spine" back to front and another spine at the side of the crown. These are made to mimick the spine of reptiles and are sometimes used on finer Montecristis for decoration.
The hatband is black 13 ligne.

I'm asking $550.- shipped worldwide, just need the cash - I wouldn't be offering it otherwise.

I paid $700 directly through Art, the hat is mint, and the value of these has gone up since I bought it. The rule of thumb used to be $100 for every 100wpsi if you bought it from an honest vendor like PanamaBob or Art. It's been skyrocketing since, or so I was told by Art some time ago, unless you find someone who has an older body and is selling at the old price. I just tried checking the current prices at Panama Bob (Robert Weber), but the site domain is closed, apparently. I can't find him over the web anymore just now. His site used to be (or is) http://www.panamas.biz/ and the store was also called "panama hats of montecristi", if memory serves.

Detailed pics:

G922htR.jpg

6qEq67X.jpg

6JZnQTP.jpg

WP9g6EI.jpg

O1ILmI8.jpg

io6JFLx.jpg

Z4GUNyo.jpg

jFZHFsn.jpg

uGBUWTz.jpg

Ol22T5x.jpg

KmiLyzx.jpg

Bgs3Sr9.jpg

oAwQsHb.jpg

DqA4AkQ.jpg

QNLXIOy.jpg

wJLPjU8.jpg

Comparison pic - It's the hat in the lower right corner:

h2fDjs1.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
But fortunately it's mine ... and it's just paid for :)

Actually I ordered a custom hemp "Milan" from Peters Bros. two days ago. Yeah well ... you can't have enough straws in a rainy country like Denmark :D

I know you will love it, and anything you happen to purchase from Rabbit, is always in top shelf shape! We here love all his hats and items he sells, but the size is a tid bit too small....

The price was a super bargain on that hat as well. You sure got a great deal!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
SOLD. Thanks for all the moral support! There may be a few more things coming up soon. Hat wearers of 57.5cm/ 22 5/8" size and vintage clothes wearers of size 36-38, feel free to contact me on your own.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I know you will love it, and anything you happen to purchase from Rabbit, is always in top shelf shape! We here love all his hats and items he sells, but the size is a tid bit too small....

The price was a super bargain on that hat as well. You sure got a great deal!
Thank you, I'm already very pleased. I have never bought anything from Nik, but we have PM'ed several times over the years. I know him as an absolute gentleman, and know a good part of his collection - so I'm looking forward to receive a really nice Monte ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran