Wanna Meet a Lounger?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Marc Chevalier, Aug 10, 2006.

1. p71towny

p71towny Familiar Face

It is weird to meet up with people you've only met on the web, but meh, what the hell. It takes all kinds.

2. After all, online nobody knows that you're really a dog. That's the beauty of the whole thing.

Woof! Woof!

:D

3. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

You probably won't believe me, but I felt terrible ALL DAY because I realized I forgot you and Shazza in my list! And then as the day went on, I realized that I forgot MartinSantos and Geiamama as well, and a few others. The more I thought about it, the list got longer. I think I need to sit down and write one by hand and report later. I feel like a total dink :(

I did, I feel like an a$$
    I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I really, really am :/

4. Thanks to rue and Dan'l. You know that I'd like to meet you both, too...

5. Go to the events section and make it to some event. If you are lucky to be close enough to some type of vintage themed event you can post that and with a little luck others may be close enough to join up. Here in Southern California there tends to be something worth going to monthly and that's the way to get to know others.

6. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

It is certainly not weird. Some of the very, very best times of my life have been with people I've met here. The evening I spent at the Cicada Club is the very best night of my entire life. I've made lifelong friends, have met extraordinary people, and learned a hell of a lot.

7. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

I've never met someone I've met online before, but am supposed to this summer. I never traveled anywhere, so a roadtrip to Pennsylvania's going to be interesting. Being terribly shy when I'm out of my element.

I think meeting loungers would be great! This is the most fantastic bunch of people I've ever encountered and if any of you ever find yourselves in Pardeeville, I'd be happy to have you over!

8. I'll second that!

9. ^^ ^^I've also met some fantastic folk via the Fedora Lounge, mostly from the L.A. area, but others as well.

10. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

I absolutely agree with what Scotrace said. My trip to North America wouldn't have been half as much fun had I not met up with other Loungers while I was there (specifically Lady Day in LA & Warbaby & Chas in Canada). I also had the pleasure of meeting up with Binkie Baumont when he traveled to Sydney - that was a fun day. There are plenty of interesting people on this forum, if you get opportunity to meet any of them, do so.

11. Pompidou

Pompidou One Too Many

I can't think of anyone here I don't get along with well enough to have a beer with sometime. I can't think of anyone here I get along so well with that I'm dying to. I'd be happy meeting anyone, for the most part.

12. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

No offence taken! Different people post for different reasons, and some people just aren't comfortable taking an on-screen interaction into real life. That being said...

... I totally agree with this! Many of my closest real-life friends are people I originally met on the internet. It was a real life-line for me when I moved to the UK, because there were women that I'd already known online for some years. They took me shopping, helped me house-hunt, gave me advice and generally extended their friendship to me in a way that I will never forget. There have been a couple of people that I have met from the internet that I didn't really hit it off with, but the majority of the time I have found that in real life people are even funnier, warmer, smarter and kinder than they appear on screen.

Edward is the only Lounger that I have met in person - and even that was the most fleeting interaction because I recognised him when we passed in the street and we both had other places to be. There are lots of other Loungers that I would like to meet; I won't name names!

13. Geiamama

Geiamama One of the Regulars

I'm afraid I'm with you on this one. I was always a bit skeptical but then I thought I'd give it a go and arrange to meet someone. Turns out the someone wasn't quite the guy he portrayed himself to be, :rage: now I'm REALLY skeptical! It would take a lot for me to meet someone if was outside my local area.

Awww, and there I was thinking you hadn't noticed me...:hug:

I wouldn't worry too much about your trip, shy or not, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

14. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

Well I am and old timer on the web. I started back in the 80's on the net. Before the "Web" was around and before most people even knew there was a web.
    Every person I recieved and email from was from someone I actually knew in real life. I used the "Web" to keep in contact with my collecting buddies around the US and the world. It was our way of sharing info and trading stuff back and forth. So I have always met people online in real life as it was a way of sharing an interest it a topic that others where interested in. Today's web has allowed some people to become someone else sort of an alternate personality that in real life them may not be. I have ran into people who have created a whole personality just for posting on forums and have another for some other forum.
    I guess it works for them but it is not a great way of living for me. I am what I am words in a posting can be taken many ways depending on the mood the reader is in so one person may see a posting as offensive where as another might see it as funny. Knowning a person in real life will give you a more rounded view of them than postings on a forum. :)

15. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Five is tough. In no particular order:

LizzieMaine
    scotrace
    RBH
    AtomicEraTom
    John in Covina
    Neophyte
    rue

There are others, but Im over the limit.

16. Awwww.... I'm sorry Tom... I was really just teasing you. You should know that by now :p We had already agreed to meet if we were ever in the same town anyway, remember? ;)

17. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Funny that this old thread came up again - but also amazing how many loungers who has left since then. And I did not meet them!!!

18. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

I was thinking the same thing. This thread is like a walk through FL history!

19. Neophyte

Neophyte My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks, scotty! Incidentally my list is similar to yours, excluding myself and RBH, who I've already met in person several times.

In their place I would put Scottyrocks and Dinerman.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  20. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Yes, definitely dinerman!