Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want a record player

SayCici

Practically Family
Hello! I couldn't find a definitive thread on this and figured this forum would be appropriate, but do move this around if I was incorrect!

I would really, finally, like to get a record player, but I have no idea what kind to look for or what I would need, so I was hoping someone wiser could point me in the right direction.

I want to be able to play all sizes/formats and that's about the only particular I have! I guess I would also prefer something smaller and more portable as I will be moving a lot over the next couple years.

Thanks so much!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
If you're looking for a budget, retro-inspired system that will play cds and even tapes, try this one. I got mine from Target, and am happy with it. It's a nice portable size, too.
B000HQ6I0S

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another good option is a classroom phonograph -- do an ebay search for "Califone" or "Newcomb" and you'll likely come up with several examples. These are rugged, versatile, can usually play all speeds, and won't break the bank.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
33 1/3 rpm (LP) records and 45 rpms play with one type of needle -- 78rpm requires a different, wider type. So if you want to play both kinds, you'll want to look for a system either with interchangeable styli, or what's called a "flip over" stylus, where you flip a little lever at the end of the tone arm to switch needles. Most of the classroom and "retro" phonos come with this feature, but most component-type turntables, the kind you'd plug into a stereo, do not. You'd have to buy separate, interchangeable needles with these types of systems.

Most classroom-type phonos, and many of the modern retro-type systems, are self-contained -- they have their own amplifier and speakers built into the cabinet with the turntable, and all you have to do is plug them in and away you go. A component-type turntable must be plugged into a stereo, and might also require pre-amplifiers or other equipment for best results.

SayCici

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
33 1/3 rpm (LP) records and 45 rpms play with one type of needle -- 78rpm requires a different, wider type. So if you want to play both kinds, you'll want to look for a system either with interchangeable styli, or what's called a "flip over" stylus, where you flip a little lever at the end of the tone arm to switch needles. Most of the classroom and "retro" phonos come with this feature, but most component-type turntables, the kind you'd plug into a stereo, do not. You'd have to buy separate, interchangeable needles with these types of systems.

Most classroom-type phonos, and many of the modern retro-type systems, are self-contained -- they have their own amplifier and speakers built into the cabinet with the turntable, and all you have to do is plug them in and away you go. A component-type turntable must be plugged into a stereo, and might also require pre-amplifiers or other equipment for best results.

Thank you so much! This has been very helpful. I am now watching quite a few on eBay, it looks like I won't have to go over $100 (which is really great, as the only record I have at the moment is Sukiyaki)! Thanks again!

Flivver

Practically Family
Lizzie's recommendation to look for a classroom phonograph is a good one. They are self contained and much more ruggedly built than modern phonographs.

Several years ago I purchased a nice classroom phono made by Rek-O-Kut around 1954. This is a company that specialized in making portable record cutting machines. I've been very pleased with it. It has four speeds (16, 33, 45 and 78) as well as a flip-over stylus to play either micro-groove or 78 records. I paid $50 for it on e-Bay.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
SayCici said:
Thanks! What type of features should I look for? I really don't know anything about them!
This makes me feel SOOOO old!!!
Good advice has been given, but another alternative could be one of those Crosley pseudo replica types. They have wooden boxes, but modern, albeit cheapish, insides.
They're fine if you want to play vinyl 12 inch albums.
Here are a few links:
http://www.retroradiozone.com/crosley_phonograph_cr_48.html
http://www.audiobuys.net/Crosley/2218.htm
http://www.onewayfurniture.com/cro-cr84-bt.html

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I've had my eye on that particular one, John. It started out around $400, I think, and has been dropping in price. One day I'll get one, not to retire my records, but once I get all that music in my computer I can then burn cds to play in the car.
In particular, I look forward to cranking up some old big band tunes with the 'scritch scritch scritch' of the vinyl on them.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Theres a guy on etsy.com who sells them rebuilt with brand new styli (needles) are true vintage and guaranteed to work. Prices run between $100-165. Try to get one that runs on vacuum tubes. Avoid solid-state electrics (what all modern consumer electrics use). The sound difference is incredible!

Heres a nice one from said seller (contact him as id bet he has loads more in your price range):

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.ph...=category&category=vintage&ga_page=2&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

and another one for $35!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.ph...=category&category=vintage&ga_page=2&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

I had a 1950s Zenith Cobra-Matic and a 1950s Philco that was a gorgeous black with white grille. I miss them!

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I'll echo LizzieMaine's sentiments; I have an Audiotronics classroom record player which plays 78s, 45s, 33 1/3rds, and 16s. Great sound, rugged, and it was $45.00 at a local antique shop.

SayCici

Practically Family
repeatclicks said:
Theres a guy on etsy.com who sells them rebuilt with brand new styli (needles) are true vintage and guaranteed to work. Prices run between $100-165. Try to get one that runs on vacuum tubes. Avoid solid-state electrics (what all modern consumer electrics use). The sound difference is incredible!

Heres a nice one from said seller (contact him as id bet he has loads more in your price range):

and another one for $35!

I had a 1950s Zenith Cobra-Matic and a 1950s Philco that was a gorgeous black with white grille. I miss them!
I was considering buying from him but after seeing all the phonographs selling for about $50 on eBay, I think I'm better off with one of those as my first!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran