Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want menswear to change? Let them know!

Jovan

Suspended
This thread got me thinking about the current state of menswear and how the clothiers are trying to make certain things like the three piece cool again, yet they seem to think something needs to be off for it to be hip. I've seen a lot of members here (including myself) complain about this. I propose we stop just complaining on this board and offer constructive criticism to Whomever it May Concern over at the fashion houses.

I have already written Express and J. Crew. What I've done is proceeded to compliment them on the clothing items I do like and their aesthetic. In the case of Express, I complimented the mod look they are going for now with the slim cut, narrow lapelled jackets. With J. Crew, their preppy look. What I then did was offer criticism on how they could make that image even better and truer to their aesthetic i.e. Express making higher rise, straight cut trousers again (like their now sadly discontinued Director Pant) instead of the low rise, boot cut suit trousers that scream '70s more than the '60s look of the jacket and thus clash. I then include example photos with guys like Sean Connery or Jimmy Stewart in well cut suits (specifically, three pieces) with women on their arms. Explain why it looks good and how it could sell (like a picture of a guy in a suit cut well with women around him in their marketing campaign). The same goes for details like high armholes and why they are a benefit. I plan to write Ralph Lauren soon.

Let me remind everyone here that historically, change has been accomplished when a lot of people let the powers that be (government AND companies) know what they feel. It can happen here, I know it can. Please help me out. Help yourself out. Additionally, if there are any other major fashion houses that you think we should write, please let me know.

Who's with me?

EDIT: I forgot to say, I received an answer from Express. They said they forwarded my email directly to the design team. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
wirePaperBasket.jpg

:D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Agreed. It's the only way things change - speak with your wallet. I am speaking of my own experience with writing to menswear designers/producers, and I think mine went straight to the wire basket "Design Team."

Jovan

Suspended
Just got a reply back from J. Crew:

"Dear Jovan:

Thank you for your feedback!

We always appreciate hearing from our customers about ways in which we might improve our product. We have forwarded your comments to our feedback group for review. We are always looking for new ways to create a richer and more exciting line.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know by responding to this email at contactus@jcrew.com or by calling a J.Crew Associate at 1-800-562-0258.

Sincerely,

Laura"

Feraud

Bartender
I wonder who the feedback group is and would love to be a fly on the wall during their conversations.

For the record I do not think we are complainers. Most members here prefer the vintage stuff and will express why. Saying B is no good compared to A is not complaining. It is comparing and contrasting.

Overall I am all for grassroots email/letter writing campaigns.

Feraud

Bartender
You get kudos for taking the time to contact the different businesses.

I have little hope that modern designers will make active changes to suit (no pun!) a niche group of collectors. Eventually the pendulum swings a particular way (note the present narrow cut suits) but I have given up waiting.

I find enough quality vintage outfits to satisfy my needs but support the cause!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
I have little hope that modern designers will make active changes to suit (no pun!) a niche group of collectors. Eventually the pendulum swings a particular way (note the present narrow cut suits) but.....
Yes, the vicissitudes of fashion will spur them on to make periodic change but don't hold your breath for higher armholes, as that would require them to abandon their tried and true mass marketing business model.

BTW, there are numerous RTW makers who offer high armholes although they're mostly smaller Italian firms and very pricey.

Johnny B

Familiar Face
Fashion is dictated largely by old rich women and old gay men to one up each other. You think those fashion shows they put on are for our benefit? They exist mainly to circlejerk over the "next big" colour or cut and then fashion is dictated for a season as such.

The public never, ever will factor into their masturbatory work as long as they still have parties to attend. Generic is the codeword for what us simple peasantfolk get bestowed.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a company a couple decades back that tried 30s-40s-50s retro revival, something something Republic or whatever, and folded pretty quick. Someone who likes peak lapels is outnumbered 100:1 by people who read US magazine and follow whatever the people in there buy

Bribing/blackmailing celebrities to bring retro back is the better way to go, then

Bugsy

One Too Many
Jovan said:
This thread got me thinking about the current state of menswear and how the clothiers are trying to make certain things like the three piece cool again, yet they seem to think something needs to be off for it to be hip. I've seen a lot of members here (including myself) complain about this. I propose we stop just complaining on this board and offer constructive criticism to Whomever it May Concern over at the fashion houses.

I have already written Express and J. Crew. What I've done is proceeded to compliment them on the clothing items I do like and their aesthetic. In the case of Express, I complimented the mod look they are going for now with the slim cut, narrow lapelled jackets. With J. Crew, their preppy look. What I then did was offer criticism on how they could make that image even better and truer to their aesthetic i.e. Express making higher rise, straight cut trousers again (like their now sadly discontinued Director Pant) instead of the low rise, boot cut suit trousers that scream '70s more than the '60s look of the jacket and thus clash. I then include example photos with guys like Sean Connery or Jimmy Stewart in well cut suits (specifically, three pieces) with women on their arms. Explain why it looks good and how it could sell (like a picture of a guy in a suit cut well with women around him in their marketing campaign). The same goes for details like high armholes and why they are a benefit. I plan to write Ralph Lauren soon.

Let me remind everyone here that historically, change has been accomplished when a lot of people let the powers that be (government AND companies) know what they feel. It can happen here, I know it can. Please help me out. Help yourself out. Additionally, if there are any other major fashion houses that you think we should write, please let me know.

Who's with me?

EDIT: I forgot to say, I received an answer from Express. They said they forwarded my email directly to the design team. :)

By George, you've got it. What an incredible idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points